Does anyone here toy with music production?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iBreatheApple, Aug 13, 2012.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I am curious to know if anyone here plays around with music production. I want to get into electronic music production (as a hobby, nothing professional). I've seen a couple of professional artists mention Ableton Live and how "embarrassingly simple" it is to use. GarageBand is great, don't get me wrong, but for the types of things I'm wanting to play around with GB just doesn't seem to offer me a wide variety.

Anyone have any software recommendations, tips, or experiences they want to share? :) :apple:

2. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

MuseScore is an amazing open-source program. It's compatible with Linux, which is great too, and has PowerPC support. I've used it to completely replace my manuscript paper and it's great! I can't find a good WYSIWYG music notation editor for MacOS 9 though :(.

3. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I do mostly hiphop. Similar workflow as EDM - sample, sequence through MIDI, and apply effects. I used to use hardware (MPC's) then moved over to software - started with FL Studio, then Logic, now Studio One. Haven't used Ableton but all my DJ friends swear by it and I'm guessing it's because it's geared toward live performance and has a ton of effects.