Does anyone here use a first generation iphone without data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigchief, Mar 10, 2009.

1. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about buying a first generation iphone. I use a razr with at&t and would like to know if all I have to do is put my sim card in the iphone. The only place I would use the iphone for internet would be with wifi. There is no 3g coverage in my area and I don't reallly care to pay the $30 a month for just the edge. If I did this would there be any way at&t would know?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Have them block data, the iphone grabs data from the edge network without asking for the weather, stocks and all, if you accidentaly hit safari it'll start downloading data as well. Otherwise you can do it, I'm doing it on my 3g, had data blocked and if I try and go on the internet while not on wifi I am met with a "you are not subscribed to a data service, cannot access" message.

3. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a family plan with four phones and unlimited text. Does that matter.

4. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

nope.. does not matter.. data and text are two separate things, and you can block data on only one line as well if someone else in the family wanted data..

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Unfortunately I have tried several times without success to get the data plan removed on my 1st gen iPhone. They used to allow that, and you could even do it via their website. Now they refuse to remove the data plan or to block data. I may try again but I am getting tired of calling.

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

You can't have your iPhone on the network when you call Customer Care. Do you have another phone (non-iPhone, non-SmartPhone) that you can put your SIM into for less than an hour?

Just put your SIM into another phone wait for it to connect to the network. Call Customer Care and tell them you just switched phones and you want to drop the iPhone data plan. The rep will ask for the IMEI of your "other" phone, just provide it to the rep. You also want to have them block all data, this is called a WIX Block in AT&T speak. This will only block data and not SMS Txt but since you are dropping the original iPhone data plan it includes 200 SMS Txt msgs as part of the $20 data plan. So if you want a SMS Txt plan add it while you are still on the phone.

Note: *#06# should display your IMEI

Dave

7. danny_w macrumors 601

The thing is that this didn't used to be necessary - it was allowed to drop the data plan on an iPhone. This just changed after the 3G phones came out. They said at first that it was not supposed to affect the 2G iPhones, but now we know that it does. Sorry, I don't like the sneaky lying approach above, besides which it may not help because as soon as you switch the SIM card back to your iPhone the carrier can see that and either add the data back on or drop you entirely.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

It was always the policy at AT&T, just some reps did not follow the policy and allowed customers to drop the original iPhone data plan since they just treated it like any other phone's "Feature".

You agreed to a two year service commitment for voice and data when you activate the original iPhone. This was to cover cost of the revenu sharing agreement with Apple to get the discounted $20 iPhone data plan. So it would be "sneakly lying" to drop the data plan that you agreed to keep for two years. :)

My statement is correct, valid and honest as you would have just switched phones before you called Customer Care. AT&T is currently working to address the issue of individuals using an invalid data plan not individuals that don't have a data plan. This effort has been ongoing since Sept. 21 of last year and as of today, nobody have reported having AT&T change or add a data plan. :(

Yes, AT&T knows exactly what phone you are using as soon as your phone registers with the cellular network. Your phone self-identifies by sending your phones IMEI. The IMEI provides all the key information. Here give it a try and see what your phone sends out every time it connects to the network.

http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr

Dave

9. danny_w macrumors 601

Sorry, but yes there have been reports on this board of people being charged for a data plan in arrears when using the method that you describe. I don't have time to search for them right now, but the posts are on here. and everyone was told when the original iPhone first came out that you can sign up now and drop the data plan one month later.

EDIT: And before the 3G iPhone came out and for a few weeks afterward AT&T's own website allowed you to drop the data plan on the original iPhone. Unfortunately I waited too long and this capability was removed from the website. Since that time I have been unable to get them to drop the data plan by calling.

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Individuals say many things that are not covered in the Terms of Service or contract that you agree to when you activate the original iPhone via iTunes. Did you read the terms before you agreed to them when you activated via iTunes?

So in your personal situation, if you were able to call in and have the Customer Care rep drop the data plan on your original iPhone, why are you not worried that you will be charged for data plan, have it re-added, or be charged PPU with a huge bill? Sorry but you can't have it both ways on this issue. :(

Dave

11. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for replying. Where I live there is no 3g and if I get a new 3g iphone I will be charged for 3g service even though I wouldn't have it. That sucks. That's the reason I was thinking about just getting a First gen iphone and using it without data plan because most of the time I would use it for internet would be around wifi.

12. Kenn Marks macrumors regular

1st Gen iPhone data NOT $30

If you have a 1st Gen iPhone without 3G capabilities you are entitled to the same $20/mo plan that every other 1G user is getting and this includes the 200 SMS of the plan. I've bought several hand me down 1G's as users have upgraded to a 3G unit and have been able to subscribe them to a 2yr plan at $20/mo. I'm still using my 1G unit since AT&T ("more bars anywhere", "largest 3G network") doesn't support 3G within 10 miles of my house and business. At my house I have to go outside to get any signal at all. I'm talking South East Pennsylvania not some rural outpost out west.

I wouldn't have my iPhone without a data plan I spent 2 hours in a doctors office yesterday waiting to see the doctor on a non scheduled semi emergency visit and spent the whole time checking email and doing web research for a customer quote. I'm always using my iPhone when I am in a delayed situation, Dr's Office, Dentist, Stuck in traffic due to an accident, waiting at the kids music lesson, anytime anywhere. Sure it's nice when WiFi is available but for e-mail and general web browsing I've found EDGE to be more than adequate.

13. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you telling me that if I bought a used first gen iphone and wanted a data plan I would still have to sign a two year contract?

14. seand1111 macrumors regular

No, you do not, nor do you have to carry data on it if you bought it outside of ATT. In your case (buying it outside of ATT) Att, would just look at it like any other phone that somone brings onto their network o like a replacement phone....You will probably have to get a new SIM card so that you can activate it through iTunes, then select the "add existing number" option (or whatever it calls it). After all that is said and done, you can just call ATT and ask them to remove the data plan and add a WIXBLOCK to that line.

I hear you do not have to have the data plan even if you got the 1st gen through ATT and were still in contract (since they were not subsidized) but I can not say for sure and i am sure Dave knows more about that.

15. dave006 macrumors 68020

No but when you use iTunes to activate the original iPhone it does add the required $20 data plan or the and last time I looked still had the Terms about a two service commitment (new contract). See my comments below for additional comments.

If you are a current AT&T customer and purchase or are given an original iPhone, you do not need a "New" SIM to activate the original iPhone. You would only need a "New" AT&T SIM if you are new to AT&T or adding a new line of service or your SIM is very old. Any active SIM that has the 32K wording on it (AT&T, Cingular) will work in the original iPhone or even the iPhone 3G. The iTunes process only pairs the SIM with the original iPhone during the activation. The iTunes activation process will give you the $20 data plan which includes 200 SMS Txt msg. or you can choose additional higher plans, including an Enterprise Option for $45 (You don't need this). It does not provide an option to have "No Data plan". :(

Now to the contract issue, the world changed on July 11, 2008 with the launch of the iPhone 3G. AT&T began marketing: "Handing Off Your Original iPhone to Someone Else" and they provided the following:

Existing AT&T Customers

1. Use current AT&T SIM card (they even provide instructions for SIM install)
    2. Complete the activation process at home or work via iTunes at www.apple.com/itunes

The iTunes activation process will perform a credit check when activating a new line of service. iTunes will also allow you to transfer your number from a different wireless carrier, select a rate plan and required data plan, upgrade your text message package, set up your iTunes account, accept iPhone and AT&T Terms and Conditions, and download the latest version of software to your iPhone.​

Now if you are still reading at this point in the post you know why so many people were interested in Unlocking and how to Jailbroke the iPhones to get around AT&T and Apple iTunes.:) That is why the refined process for calling Customer Care and dropping the original iPhone data plan.

Now direct suggestion to BigChief: If you are an existing AT&T customer and you don't have a current contract or are already on an existing contract. Just follow the normal instructions; put your current AT&T SIM in the original iPhone, activate with iTunes making sure to not select a new number (phone number) you are an existing customer and you will just enter your existing number. You should still see the two year service commitment statement but as of July 11, 2008 (small disclaimer here: I have done 4 activations with this process and in each activation no changes were made to start / renew / extend the line in any way) the iTunes activation process was not updated. If you are activating a new line of service your experence may vary based on how, who, where, and the activation status of the iPhone you activate using iTunes.

Once this is all done, you just need to call Customer Care as I stated in a previous post ( from another non-iPhone, non-SmartPhone ) and do what thousands of others have done and remove the data plan and have all data blocked on the line (WIX Block).

Please don't take my word as the "Official Answer" on this, check the forum and review the comments from other posters and make up your own mind, just dont' be a lemming. ;)

Dave

16. seand1111 macrumors regular

Dave,

I understand that iTunes pairs the SIM to the "new" phone, but I was always told that you had to get a new SIM to that. Interesting that you don’t, nice to know. I have done this 3 times with 1st gen phones, once for me and twice for friends, and like you said, none of those times changed the contract dates or anything. You are correct, you do have to select a data plan in iTunes, but I have to disagree with you in regards to swapping phones to drop the plan (only when doing this on the 1st gen phone do I disagree with you), as on two of these, we left the phone connected and called ATT to drop the data plan the next day. Both times the reps said that dropping data on the 1st gen phone was "OK" to do. Now, maybe they did not do it right, but what are the chances of me getting 2 for 2 to be wrong? (I guess they could be pretty high since its ATT)

17. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yea, it was a big myth when the original iPhone came out that it required a "magic" iPhone SIM or the SIM could not be removed(no SIM ejector was included), this was just not true then or now. :) It was also fun with the iPhone 3G where they insisted that you must use the new unactivated SIM that came in the iPhone 3G for activation, again just not true. It was just earier for the rep to scan the box instead of entering anything by hand. Smart original iPhone owners knew that if they reused their existing SIM then they could keep the original iPhone as a backup phone and just swap SIMs. :cool:

On you comment about disagreeing with me on the use of another phone to get the original iPhone data plan dropped. You are not really disagreeing you are providing your direct experience. While, you are correct that it may not be required, it really depends on the skills of the Customer Care rep. Using my method will always work as the DER system that feeds CARE or Telegence will not even show the iPhone data plans as an available or required "feature" for the "other" phone. :D

Dave

Dave

18. seand1111 macrumors regular

Really is nice to know this now. I have a co-worker waiting on a 16gig 1st gen phone to arrive, i will try connection your way (using their existing SIM).

Let me ask this Question. If you activate a 1st gen phone, then swap SIM's and call ATT, the same day or the next day, do the CCR's not notice that an iPhone was connected the day before (or same day) then the phone was swapped again?

Or do they only see what is currently connected to the network?

19. golgo1313 macrumors regular

do you really need to stay with at&t? why not crack it and use it on t-mo? i did that for my wife. also, they have this 3.99 t-zones, where you can actually use unlimited edge for data. works great.

20. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank's Dave. That's very informative information.

21. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

i used my original iPhone without the data plan for over a year (had to unlock it) and now am using the new iPhone 3g without a data plan for 3 months now.

22. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I just used the iPhone Configuration Utility to create a profile with fake APN settings.

23. dave006 macrumors 68020

If you are a new customer then there will be a record of the new contract reflected on the account but that's not a big deal since you are still keeping the contract, you have just switched to another phone. No big problem but yes they will see that you just started a new contract.

If you are an existing AT&T customer just switching devics to the original iPhone, just teill them the truth, you tried a used original iPhone and you decided to switch back. Just a suggestion, it is always better to have already called to have a WIX Block put on your line before you upgrade to the original iPhone, that way the account history will show that it was active before and you just want to return the features on your account back to where they were before you tried the iPhone.

Just be careful that you don't do what another posted did recently and use their existing SIM in a refurbished iPhone 3G and assume that AT&T magically added the data plan for him when he ignored the printed instructions that came with the iPhone 3G.

There are many situations where you can end up with a PPU data plan and rack up a very large bill in a very short time if you don't follow the directions. When in doubt, ask first, verify the plan and check the results before you get the $157 data charge...:mad::eek::rolleyes:

Dave