Does anyone here use FON?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by moomog, Nov 28, 2010.

1. moomog macrumors member

Hi All

I am looking for a way to maximize the use of my wi-fi ipad, I have looked at a mi-fi and I have just been looking into FON. Has anyone got any experience of using this service and if you distribute some of your bandwidth do you notice what you are giving away.

Thanks for any advice

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I use FON through BT, and it works great when out and about. I live in the middle of nowhere though so I don't really suffer from anyone using any of my bandwidth :)

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

The new Three mifi is excellent if you get coverage in your area. I get about 3.5-4MB at home with it.

4. moomog thread starter macrumors member

But the beauty of the fon is you pay for the router then the rest is free. No having to use your paid for bandwidth in a month.

5. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

Fon

I'm not really sure what you are asking so I'm going to assume this:

You have a wifi ipad and you want to use the internet wherever it is available. If you buy a FON router and share your home internet connection then you can connect to other FON hotspots for free. So the question you should ask yourself before buying a FON is this: Are there FON hotspots for me to connect to in my area? I have a FON only because they gave out 10,000 hotspots years ago at first launch. However, I haven't had the opportunity yet to find another FON in my travels abroad to connect to. I did find one in Stockholm but it must have been just out of range because my iphone just wouldn't connect.

hope that helps

6. moomog thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your response. I was curious if anybody sharing thier bandwidth had any noticeable effect on there home network and if they found it easy to find a fon hotspot. Sitting in my living room now i would have a strong signal to connect to but it was use away from home that interests me more. On there website there seems to be a very good coverage here in the UK, probably because they have a partnership with BT.

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Get an Android phone and tether with its built in hotspot. That's what i do and its the perfect set up in my opinion :)