Does anyone in the world with ios8 have the ability to toggle 3G?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by wannabelean, Sep 25, 2014.

1. wannabelean, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

wannabelean macrumors 6502

I'm on Airtel network in India and I'm going nuts over the faster battery drain and call drops. In ios7 had the option of going back of switching 3g on and off but the option is no more available now. Updated to 8.0.2 still no luck.

2. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Yep. My 4S does, unsupported carrier in Jamaica.

Attached Files:

3. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I should put an unsupported carrier sim and then put my sim back and try and see if that will work.

4. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Very unlikely buddy. I am on Vodafone India and it's the same. However I have complained to Vodafone and they seem to be working on it. Will update if anything materialises. Meanwhile report to apple so that more people ask for it, more likely they will rectify in their next update.

5. MagWhiz macrumors member

You should downgrade to iOS7 while you want, if it is that much of an hassle.

6. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

They haven't yet.

8. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

Already did. Had a 30 mins convo with them. All they say is that it depends on the carrier. When I pointed out that in ios 7 that wasn't the case the guy had no answer. I told him it isn't a carrier issue because the same sim when put in an android phone allows you to switch between EDGE, 3G and LTE. He said he'll pass on the feedback but was totally non committal in acknowledging the issue.

----------

I tried a few hours ago without success.

9. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

10. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

On iOS it is a carrier setting, regardless of whether Android (depending on version and customization) lets you turn it off. That isn't new to iOS 8 either, except that a larger number of carrier settings seem to disable this option (or not enable it). On iOS 7 I didn't have this option on Verizon in the US or Telstra in Australia, but did have it on 3 in Hong Kong. If carrier releases the right settings file, you'll have the toggle.

11. ParagJain macrumors 6502

If you are on Airtel's 4g network, turning off 4g toggle will move you back to 3G in best service areas and sometimes 2g in not so good service areas.

12. wannabelean, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

I need 2G since 3G is horrible in my city and resulting in faster battery drain and call drops.

I'm beginning to believe that airtel has done this intentionally to limit users from subscribing to 2G services and use 3G by default which is more expensive and also usually results in higher data usage.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3G toggle appears on my 4S with Skinny in NZ (Apple-supported). I have a 4G toggle, but no 3G toggle, on my 6 with Spark (also supported).

Neither Skinny nor Spark have 2G, so on the 4S the toggle prevents all calls and data. Presumably on the 6 it'll force 3G, but I'm still waiting for Spark to activate my SIM so I can't try it yet!

14. sandeeproy macrumors newbie

sandeeproy

Yes, same here for me on 5c Vodafone India, had that 3G toggle right upto 7.1.2. Vodafone denies any responsibility & i would tend to agree as a lot of countries, like Turkey don't even have LTE. Apple probably, pushed a generic update to all LTE capable devices, i.e. iPhone 5 & higher, this time round.
    Emerging markets world over, where LTE hasn't rolled out and 3G signals remain weak & patchy - need the ability to Manually select 2G or 3G
    Please leave Feedback at Apple web site under iPhone & under Feature Request as this doesn't qualify as a bug :)

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html