Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Hi Everyone!

I've been looking for this for a while but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Part of the reason is that a lot of VPN services have their own "Proxy" browser which is not what I'm looking for because it only works with their service. But they clutter up the search results.

What I need is a web browser app with configurable proxy support. So I can go into settings in the app, set a HTTP (or even SOCKS) proxy, and then all traffic from that browser goes through that proxy.

I know there is a global setting for HTTP proxies in iOS. This is not what I need, I don't want all of my phone's traffic to go through the proxy. I just have some sites behind a proxy which I need to access sometimes. So I want only one app to go through the proxy.

I found several apps that can do this on Android but none on iOS which is a bit strange. Does Apple disallow it somehow?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Reactions: jagooch

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Really nobody? :)

Sorry for the bump but this would really help me ,:)

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
Hi Everyone!

I've been looking for this for a while but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Part of the reason is that a lot of VPN services have their own "Proxy" browser which is not what I'm looking for because it only works with their service. But they clutter up the search results.

What I need is a web browser app with configurable proxy support. So I can go into settings in the app, set a HTTP (or even SOCKS) proxy, and then all traffic from that browser goes through that proxy.

I know there is a global setting for HTTP proxies in iOS. This is not what I need, I don't want all of my phone's traffic to go through the proxy. I just have some sites behind a proxy which I need to access sometimes. So I want only one app to go through the proxy.

I found several apps that can do this on Android but none on iOS which is a bit strange. Does Apple disallow it somehow?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

maybe the app icab mobile?

Reactions: 57004

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
maybe the app icab mobile?

YESSSSS! Thank you so much!! I knew there had to be one. Got it and it works perfectly.

Stupidly enough I just realised I actually had iCab Mobile purchased already - many years ago back when I still had an iPhone 1. I didn't know it was still around and I didn't realise it had this feature (considering how long it's been around it may not have had this feature back then anyway). Over the years I stopped using it - I think back in the day I used it for a particular feature Safari didn't have and stopped when it was added to Safari.

I don't think it showed up when I searched for 'browser' and 'proxy' in the app store.. Otherwise I'd have found it myself. Totally forgot about this one altogether.

Anyway thanks again!

Reactions: addamas and jagooch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.