does anyone know a good firewire mixer for macintosh/garageband/protools???

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by tinakristina, Jul 24, 2007.

1. tinakristina macrumors newbie

:confused: :apple:

I've recently bought an alesis multi-mix firewire 12... it worked on and off - the audio midi setup wouldn't see it unless i re-installed the drivers... once it did it would work fine, except sometimes it would not get any signal from the mixer... then when i turned the computer off and back on again, the audio midi setup would'nt see it...and after a week didnt work at all no matter what i did, i tried it both on my 17' imac and MacBook Pro... i sent it back....

now i'm looking for a firewire mixer compatible with mac and garageband/pro tools... i heard pro-tools doesn't accept 3rd parties, so if that's true it's not that neccessary because i have an m-box...

any help is very appreciated... trying to record but have been stuck with this mixer problem and need to get back to work ASAP...

i've read at some blog about the 'phonic" mixer... but i dont want to buy anything again without being 100% sure this time.

thanks,
    tinakristina

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, you can run PTLE only on PTLE-compatible devices: mbox (and its various forms), 002, 003.

that mbox limits you to 2 channels of simultaneous ins. why do you need a mixer?

3. bbain macrumors newbie

The Tascam FW-1082 is Firewire, and well regarded, if not cheap.

4. netwalker macrumors regular

netwalker

I originally wanted to get the Alesis but after reading about the problems people are having with it, I am now saving for the Korg Zero8, which is much more than just a digital mixer.

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    man, i'm so glad i didn't get the multimix FW

i almost got the 12 channel one, but i forked out the extra 100 beans and got the Presonus Firepod instead and couldn't be happier.

seriously it took me longer to set up my iPod than it did to set up a multitrack recording session using all the firepod inputs in Logic.
    love it

6. JobsRules macrumors member

I'm about to get rid of my 16 channel Mackie Analogue mixer as I find I now do most everything 'in the box' so I find the Analogue/Firewire mixers a bit of an anomaly.

The future's getting as many audio inputs as you need and perhaps buying a control surface if you want a 'mixer feel'.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

doing that alone will improve your sound.

8. theapex macrumors regular

how will getting rid of he mixer improve his sound?

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Mainly because the Mackie isn't a very good mixer.

10. AnonymousOne macrumors regular

Im about to get rid of my 12 channel mackie for the same reasons.

11. theapex macrumors regular

well....I mean outside of that...is that the only reason or is there a technical reason?

shoot.... that means I REALLY NEED TO GET RID OF MINE THEN!!!

I have the beringher euro track 12 channel mixer.

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Funny - I've never had any problems with my Alesis, 'cept there were some problems with the drivers under Leopard. I've been running the beta drivers and they work perfectly in my experience. In fact I've been recording solidly yesterday and today with my MM16 and it's been great...