Does anyone Know about Contracts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneguaco, Sep 21, 2011.

1. iphoneguaco macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am about to hire an app developer to develop my first app. Can you please tell me everything you can think of to include in my contract to help protect myself, that I may not have already thought of?

With regards to protection, what bases exactly do I need to cover

With regards to the code ownership, what is the developer supposed to give me at the end of development? Just a flash drive with the code, or is there something more specific I'm looking for?

In general, what type of follow up work are they supposed to be obligated to perform? How many updates? Or what duration of time are they supposed to be able to fix errors in the app up until?

Are they suppposed to show me how to adjust the description, etc in the app store page itself?

Also, can someone let me know a good rule of thumb with regards to milestone? I've heard stories of people getting screwed because they didn't set enough milestones to encourage movement. Can someone who's had good experience with milestones, please let me know a good blueprint to follow.

Please, if you have answers to these or any other questions I haven't even thought of, please let me know and be as detailed as possible. Thanks you!

Guaco

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

An Example

Here:

http://www.excellone.com.au/draft_of_mou_and_nda.html

But I strongly suggest you talk to a lawyer.....Don't try to domit on your own, it's too easy to make a mistake, and drawing up a custom contract is not going to cost you a fortune.

Good luck with your project:)

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Consult a lawyer. Why you are asking for legal advice on a forum is beyond me.

4. iphoneguaco thread starter macrumors newbie

because not all attorneys have dealt with app development, so I'm assuming there are some windows they may miss due to lack of information.

5. davariable macrumors newbie

Why not just find an attorney that has dealt with software development?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Asking for legal advice on a forum isn't too smart. Asking it in the iPhone forum is downright crazy. Have you read any of the threads here?

7. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

As others have said asking an online forum for help is downright rock bottom.

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I don't think everyone here is being very fair to this guy.

Yes, he needs to meet with a lawyer, but he should not go into a meeting with that lawyer uneducated. Just like every profession you have some people who don't do quite as good a job as others. Arming himself with info is very smart. If anyone here has suggestions they should mention them so he can be more informed for that meeting.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. dewthedru macrumors regular

11. iphoneguaco thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Rafael, it's good to know not everyone is a douche, and some people can actually see what I'm trying to get at, as opposed to spending their time responding by tossing around Ad Hominems. Never understood the logic behind that. Talk about rock bottom