Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cfour

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Like I said I'm interested if there's an alternative to Paint.NET for Mac as it is not ported to Mac's as I was an avid user and haven't found anything thats close, let alone free.
I have an eMac so I can't really virtualize and using Q would be painfully slow to emulate.
Thanks for any responses :)

Cfour

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you want the interface quality of Paint.NET and you want it free, your options are pretty limited. Seashore is a free app that does a reasonably nice job of the basics (including layers, undo, etc), but it is no Photoshop. GIMP is extremely powerful, but it does not have a very nice interface or a lot of creature comforts.

In the non-free world, I personally think Photoshop Elements is absolutely the way to go. You can even purchase a used copy of PSE3 for relatively little if you want (don't get any version older than 3). There's also an app called Pixelmator that seems to hold a lot of promise.

If you search for Pixelmator or Seashore here on MR, you'll find lots of threads discussing this issue farther.

Cfour

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Thanks mkrishnan, yeah Ive tried Seashore and is a little basic but has a lovely interface and Ive tried GIMP on windows and wasn't a huge fan lol
I'll give Pixelmator a go.

Cfour

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.