Does anyone know how I can batch change my photo filenames?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kuska, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Kuska macrumors regular

Kuska

I'm sure I read a post similar to this about a year ago but cannot remember the advice given and would appreciate some help.

I use iPhoto '08 to manage about 12,000+ digital photo's and whilst I have renamed them under the filmroll heading within iPhoto, if I look for the photos on my hard drive I only get the basic saved name i.e DSC00123 etc.

Is there a quick or automated way I can get the filename that shows in iPhoto to overwrite the filenames currently sitting on my hard drive ? It would just make it so much easier to locate images to take into other editing programs.

Thankyou.

2. frido macrumors newbie

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Stay out of the library in finder! You will cause yourself headach and heartache! Photos will be lost or corrupt! Do anything and everyhting to/with your photos from within the iPhoto app. There is never a need to go into the library in finder, so it does not matter what the names of the files are in there. Working this way is the Windows way, relax and let iPhoto take care of you and your photos the easier mac way! Just forget that folder exists! You and your photos will be much happier!

4. Kuska thread starter macrumors regular

Kuska

Well - I agree with the sentiment, less tinkering the better !! However whilst I have my main copy and back up to my FW drive - I want to share some complete years photo's with family on a DVD - when I do this, all you see on the DVD is the original filenames - I haven't managed to convert them all over to :apple:, yet ;) so they have real trouble navigating the disc.

5. r88my macrumors regular

You could use automator or you could export the photos from iphoto then reimport them (exporting gives you the option of renaming the files to the iphoto name)

6. Millwood macrumors regular

7. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Save those years' photos to a slideshow, export to iDVD and burn a really nice DVD from them that your family can see on their television. The titles you gave the photos in iPhoto will show up on the tv screen (or computer if they are viewing on a computer). There is even an option to have the files added to the disk as well, and then they will have access to the photos in their photo software also.