Does anyone know how to get rid of an annoying software update?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBook-Gal, Apr 4, 2008.

1. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

I downloaded a large software update this afternoon, and now I think that it is starting to cause some problems. If possible, I would like to be able to uninstall it without deleting it from my computer. That way, I would not have to download it again if I ever see that I absolutely need to have it (my internet is very slooow when it comes to downloading large files!) Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, how would be the best way to do it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

If your using Time Machine, you can restore your machine to a point before you installed the update.

If not your kinda out of luck, aside from a complete re-install.

Out of curiosity what update did you install?

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Which software update was it?

I'm not sure if it's possible to do what you're asking. :(

4. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

It was an itunes update. I downloaded it today using the high speed internet at work. I didn't realize until later that it would make itunes stop working until I installed a 300mb Tiger update. My home internet connection is much too slooow to download something that big, and I really hate to have to do without itunes for a whole weekend.:mad: That is why I was hoping that there would be some way to get rid of the update. I don't have time machine, so that is not an option. Oh well.....Maybe I can go borrow a friend's broadband tomorrow.:rolleyes:

5. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Yeah thats your best bet, just deal without iTunes for a few days, and update to 10.4.11 (I assume)

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

could you just find an old version of itunes online somewhere for a temporary fix?

7. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Installing an older version of itunes on top of a newer one isn't as easy as i sounds. The old-itunes installed will check and see there is a new version an thus will deny the installation. A solution is to remove some files related to itunes manually, by searching for itunes with spotlight. The easiest and safest solution is, as already suggested, to wait and update to 10.4.11.

8. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded the 10.4.11 update today, so itunes is now working again!!!:D Thanks for the help everyone!:cool: