Does anyone know how to tether a non-jailbroken iphone to Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Und3rgroundz, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Und3rgroundz macrumors newbie

I just recently bought an iphone 3g not but 2 months ago, i was reading about the tether application, iphonemodem, and Netshare, etc, i was curious if anyone knows how to either get these applications to the iphone without jail breaking it or a different option to be able to access the iphones data network on my laptop. Any help? if you don't want to post it, you can email it to me at kyle.walsh1713@yahoo.com. Thx AT&T is looking to offer a tethering program but it will be a monthly fee of 30 dollars a month, witch is stupid, why should we have to pay twice to access the internet on a different device. so any help would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Nope. You've got to jailbreak if you weren't lucky enough to get NetShare.

There are rumors, however, that AT&T will allow you to tether if you pay for a tethering plan.

3. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I wish you could get the source code for NetShare because I have a developer account and then I could install it on my non-Jailbroken phone.

4. Und3rgroundz thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i was searching for the code for netshare but couldn't find it if someone doesn't please post, and can you jailbrake the phone put netshare on it and then un jailbrake it?

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Nope.

What's your issue with jailbreaking? If you really need tethering then you bought the wrong phone, especially if you're not willing to jailbreak.

6. Und3rgroundz thread starter macrumors newbie

no issue i just heard a lot of bad things with it, crashing ect, and i love the iphone i wouldn't want any other phone, i just would like to tether with it.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Jailbreaking itself won't likely cause issues. It depends on how much you modify. Installing a tethering app probably won't cause many issues.

However, problems will arise when you want to update.

8. Und3rgroundz thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i don't want any issues with it lol, if somehow i get the code for a tethering program, i can use the iPhond SDK program on my mac to put it on my iphone right.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I hear a lot of bad things about driving.
    I hear a lot of bad things about eating red meat.
    I hear a lot of bad things about having sex............. :rolleyes:

Seriously, my iPhone isn't jailbroken and I have netshare (fortunately) should I ever need to tether (haven't even used netshare yet) but the ability to jailbreak an iPhone has gotten a lot better in the past 4 months it's pretty much fool proof. The latest software for pwnage and quickpwn are very easy and intuitive to use.

If jailbreaking is NOT your thing, your just going to have to wait for an official ability to tether.

Not without the proper developer account. I have one of the simple iPhone developer accounts and I cannot deploy to my iPhone.

10. slashjunior macrumors regular

I jailbroke my first iPhone and had no problems. Although I only jailbroke because it was all part of unlocking it on to T-Mobile. Now I have a legit O2 iPhone 3G. The only thing you have to worry about with jailbreaking is when it comes to updating the firmware. Jailbreaking can also leave you phone open to attack if you leave the root password as the default one which is widely known. Used to be dottie, was apline, don't know what it is now, I lose track :eek: