Does anyone know if possible to convert AC to AC+ for 2016 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jun 6, 2017.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
  3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Used to be.

with 2017 MBP, AC+ is an option now. Maybe even only option

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro

add one to cart, and you'll see it

"Every Mac comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage to three years from the original purchase date of your Mac and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax.1 In addition, you’ll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts by chat or phone."

--

$669 total (between $269 for AC+ and $299 for an other damage incident + $99 for screen assuming its a nasty drop) is an awful lot to spend, to ensure protection if it comes down to it, but better than buying a new machine all together.

and I already plunked down on AC, so if I could pay just a little more to have that as an option anyways, I'd probably still opt for it

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

If it's within 60 days of purchase, you can call and refund your original Applecare, and then purchase AC+. Someone in the news thread was able to do it no problem. After 60 days you're kind of out of luck since the new AC+ terms specify 60 days instead of the old 1-year.

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Gotcha,

guess I'm SOL

its ok, never physically damaged a laptop anyways. Always needed functionality type repairs

I got AC for a good discount too, from Adorama I think lower than edu price a few months ago

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Thank you! Didn't realize this.....how very interesting..... !!

7. jerryk macrumors 68020

$699 sure is a chunk of change to spend. And at the end of the day you get your old machine back. If Apple is going back to a couple of updates every 12 months replacing with the latest HW gets attractive.