Does anyone know if the weight of the MBA is variable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by n2arkitektur, Jul 7, 2010.

1. n2arkitektur macrumors member

n2arkitektur

Looking at the specs on the Apple site, I was wondering if the 3.0 pound weight listed changes if you configure it with the SSD. Intuitively, I would expect the SSD to weigh less than SATA HD. Although, intuitively, I would expect Apple to advertise the fact if that were the case. Also, I'm wondering if the SSD would increase the battery life. Intuitively, I would expect that since the SSD has no spinning disk, it wouldn't consume as much energy, although I know most of the energy goes to the screen and processor.

If you look at the iPad specs, the 3G iPad is 0.1 pounds heavier than the WIFI only version, so obviously how you configure things can have an impact on weight.

So, does anyone know?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There won't be a noticeable weight difference between the two. Although, yes, the SSD will increase battery life by, usually, 20-30 minutes.

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

IIRC, HD spinning drives have a lower standby power rating, but consume more power when active. SSDs use more power on standby but peak power use is lower. Overall the SSD wins.

It's been a while since I read the excellent Anandtech articles though.

4. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12