Does anyone know the aspect ratios of the 6/6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ApplePhy, Sep 21, 2014.

1. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

Probably 16:9 or 16:10??

What about for the 5/5s, 4/4s?

IPad mini, iPad Air?

2. HiRez, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

They are both 16:9. Actually not exactly, but as close as they can get.

EDIT: Sorry, I see you also asked about other models.

5/5S are 16:9

4/4S are 3:2

All iPads are 4:3

3. samg77 macrumors member

It is 16:9 otherwise apps would not be able to scale properly. The old iPhone 5 had black bars, because they didnt prepare iOS yet for this type of scaling but when they fixed it, they fixed it for all future size increases. It is defiantly 16:9.

Here is an article on The Verge that confirms this.

4. ApplePhy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Actually I added the question about the iPads AFTER you posted. Thanks for answering though.

----------

Surprised that even the 6+ is 16:9. I swear it looks much 'wider' than this. The screen in portrait mode looks incredibly tall.

5. samg77 macrumors member

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

No problem. Actually one correction, the 6 Plus is exactly 16:9, the 6 is very slightly different but for all practical purposes, it's 16:9.

7. samg77 macrumors member

The six didn't scale to 16:9 perfect because they designed the phone to be the same ppi as all former iPhones and even the iPad mini retina are all 326ppi. The odd ball is the iPhone 6 plus but since it's exactly 16:9 it scales perfect because the aspect ratio of the iPhone 5 is 16:9 and when they made the size jump from iPhone 4s to iPhone 5 they redesigned the OS and the SDK to support 16:9 screen size scaling for all apps so the apps are all now designed to 16:9, the apps still do have "legacy" support for the old iPhone 4s and before aspect ratio but the primary now is 16:9 for everything except the iPads which is 4;3. Even Microsoft thought 4:3 made a better size for a tablet because the latest Surface 3 is 4:3 now as well, I find it funny they talk about 4:3 like it was some new innovation that they came up with. I'm not a fanboy even any OS intact I have deep Windows ties as an MCSE Sr. systems engineer of over 20 years. This is my first iPhone but I own 6 iPads and love their Eco system. Anyway I'm babbling lol had a few beers. But just thought if share what I knew. Take care. Ps the new iOS keyboard is the best two handed keyboard I've ever used. If I need to go one handed glad they have swype now but with two thumbs I'm almost as fast as I am on a desktop.