Does anyone know the maximum HDD height for a MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jbaumba, Oct 15, 2009.

1. jbaumba macrumors newbie

Hello all, I have a 2008 White MacBook and my 250GB HDD is starting get a bit cramped. So I went over to OWC and they had this nifty little 1.0 TB notebook HDD. A link if your curious:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/WD10TEVT/

It says it has a height of 12.5 and that not all Macs support that. So, i was wondering if anyone had the maximum height allowed for my 'Book?

2. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

go HERE and enter your model number. It will tell you what fits.

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Most laptops take 9.5mm high drives. I believe the 17" models can fit 12.5mm high drives.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

9.5mm for the 13" MacBook and MacBook Pro models. The 17" models as said above will accommodate the 12.5mm drive (the "Classic" 15" Pro may as well...not positive though)

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Poly MacBooks = 9.5mm
    Aluminum MacBooks = 12.5mm

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I thought the 13" Unibody was still limited to 9.5mm drives?

7. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Check this:

1.0TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200RPM 12.5mm SATA Notebook HD with 8MB Cache - Fits all Apple MacBook & MacBook Pro 'Unibody' Models (13/15/17"), MacBook Pro 'pre-unibody' 17" models, and PC Laptops which support 12.5mm SATA Drives. New with 3yr WD Warranty. (WDGWD10TEVT)

taken from OWC's page describing the available tested upgrades for an Aluminum MacBook.

8. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

It will fit, snugly. It's not "officially" supported. Same as Cydia is not "officially" supported on the iphone. ie it works, and works great for most people, but apple, or any official channels do not condone it.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

That's contrary to what's here:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2009/07/27/good-news-bad-news-wd-ships-first-1-tb-mobile-drive-doesnt-f/

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That is awesome. I always forget about checking OWC when it comes to this stuff!!

11. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

We all know TUAW is the end all of apple info... funny that they said they'd check with OWC too... Everyone was clueless as no one talking about it actually put a 12.5mm drive in one... an people ignored the ones who did... here's part of the conversation I had. The drive works. Took OWC a long time before they'd confirm it. And TUAW never went back to update the list.

On Jul 27, 2009, at 6:18 PM, Michael Rose <x> wrote:

As soon as we can get a definitive list together, we will try to do that. We also recommend checking with a reputable upgrade shop (Other World Computing, for example) as they will not sell you a drive that won't fit in your machine.
    On 7/27/09 6:11 PM, "SJW" <x> wrote:

I think you should let the owners of the older unibody models know that they most likely can use the drive though. Alot of us own and use one of them. The currently shipping models might be able to use them too, but someone has to look inside the new unibodies to check.

-SJW

On Jul 27, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Michael Rose <x> wrote:

Hi SJW --

Thanks for your note. We've been checking with service providers and WD sources, and to the best of our knowledge none of the currently shipping MacBook Pro models will support the 12.5mm drive form factor, which is what Mel said. The post you cite below is referencing the unibody MacBook, not the newer 13" MBP model.

We will try to get some official confirmation about which machines in particular will work with the WD drive.

thanks!