Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hvnwnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
If it was in your back pocket, lesson learned. Those who put wallets and expensive phones in their back pocket are just asking to get picked.

If it was in your front pocket, then you need to pay more attention to your surroundings. Or buy an Otterbox case so you can feel your phone every second and takes just a bit more than necessary to take out your pocket. :D

Anyway sorry for your loss, what comes around goes around.

An expensive lesson... it was in my side open pocket, when i turned to the guy, maybe another one reached in my pocket when i didn't notice. 
Never put an expensive stuff in an open pocket !!

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
ill bet the OP stole a phone and doesnt know what to do with it now. most of these posters have given him step by step directions on what to do with his newly stolen iphone

hvnwnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
ill bet the OP stole a phone and doesnt know what to do with it now. most of these posters have given him step by step directions on what to do with his newly stolen iphone

Come on.... if he can find here, he could find the same thing on other websites, i bet that http://www.apple.com explains best how to disable "find my iphone".

This poster could remind people not to do stupidities like me.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
I Would
Turn the iPhone off, Remove the SIM, Restore It then Jailbreak and unlock

Then use it for myself

but most likely return it to the first person who called it

VeNoMiZeD

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
San Francisco
I lost my 1st generation iPhone at the post office once. It took a full day before the lady that found it called my mom on the call list. I gave her a $30 gift card, wasnt much but was glad that she called back! I would do the same too if I found a phone.

bdeitemeyer

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Turning the phone off doesn't disable the Find my iPhone. I've lost mine before, and once you open the program from a computer or wherever, you have the ability to turn the phone on/off at your choosing in order to help locate it. You guys seem to be forgetting this and assuming that turning the phone off while the SIM is still inside leaves the thief with the upper hand. If the thief takes the SIM out, you're screwed...but hopefully the thief would try to disable the program or turn the phone off so you have a little bit of time before it's too late.

Eric374

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
Wichita, Kansas
Turning the phone off doesn't disable the Find my iPhone. I've lost mine before, and once you open the program from a computer or wherever, you have the ability to turn the phone on/off at your choosing in order to help locate it. You guys seem to be forgetting this and assuming that turning the phone off while the SIM is still inside leaves the thief with the upper hand. If the thief takes the SIM out, you're screwed...but hopefully the thief would try to disable the program or turn the phone off so you have a little bit of time before it's too late.

Advantage: CDMA.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Advantage: CDMA.

Another advantage for Verizon:
If you call and report your phone as stolen, the phone's ESN (unique identifier) is blacklisted and cannot be activated an any Verizon account ever again (unless you retrieve it and let them know). So even though your phone is gone, you at least have some satisfaction knowing that you've irritated the thief.

Eric374

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
Wichita, Kansas
Another advantage for Verizon:
If you call and report your phone as stolen, the phone's ESN (unique identifier) is blacklisted and cannot be activated an any Verizon account ever again (unless you retrieve it and let them know). So even though your phone is gone, you at least have some satisfaction knowing that you've irritated the thief.

See my post #23 on the previous page.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
If the guy restores theres nothing you can do, but if hes stupid and he phone is not locked and he swapped sims.... iTracker can still help I think.. thats as close as you can get...to something that does anything when sim is removed..

^ for other people who are wondering what else is out there

Generik777

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
One positive thing about the CDMA version is even if the phone is off you can still login to mobileme and lock/wipe/or display a message to the phone. This will all take place the moment the phone is turned back on, as there is no sim to remove on a CDMA device. Although it would be nice if find my iPhone allowed you to lock the device on, and prevent the phone from being turned off.

gotchabish

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
All you have to do to a Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 is first, enable airplane mode. Second, do a factory reset FROM THE PHONE. If you plug it into a computer with internet, certain apps will immediately record identifying information about you and send it to the necessary parties. NEXT, set it up with YOUR Apple ID via a wifi network. The quicker you do this, the better your chances of not being caught. Property value is in fact a trivial amount for authorities to consider investing time and resources to recover the device so by doing this, your putting the owner at a serious disadvantage as the Find My iPhone app is operated and managed via a persons Apple ID. SIM card or not, block the service providers 3G/4G network access, and you have yourself a pretty cool iPod touch IF you manage to accomplish all of this before the owner can remote lock the phone and track the location. It is possible. For those of you trying to keep your hands ON your gadget, PUT A DAMN PASSCODE ON THE THING TO BEGIN WITH! It's a simple procedure. Just do it. A thief will in most cases look at the phone and realize, "HEY! My dumbass can't do anything with it anyway. Screw it!" and either leave it be or collect some karma points and return it to the location where he found it or the police.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Sorry to hear of your loss that truly sucks! Don't know if you were jailbroken but a very good app from Cydia is iCaughtUPro. Not only does it prevent you, or thief from powering down the phone and restoring but also takes a picture of the thief and gps location. Password protected. Then it sends it to your email.

And no it isn't my app but found it good to have just in case. I'd rather have my phone useless and thrown against the wall or into a trash can then have somebody else using it...

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2011
It is possible. For those of you trying to keep your hands ON your gadget, PUT A DAMN PASSCODE ON THE THING TO BEGIN WITH! It's a simple procedure. Just do it. A thief will in most cases look at the phone and realize, "HEY! My dumbass can't do anything with it anyway. Screw it!" and either leave it be or collect some karma points and return it to the location where he found it or the police.

A girl I work with just recently lost her phone and the person who found it called her sister to return it. We were just talking about this same thing. Yes if you have a pass code on your phone , your stuff is protected BUT someone can't call your contacts to return the phone. If you don't have a pass code, someone can return your phone as well as get into your info...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.