Does anyone know what BLOT is?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maui fog, Feb 3, 2009.

1. maui fog macrumors newbie

Aloha,
    I am having trouble registering products. When I install an app and get to the registration part of the installation, instead of Safari opening to the registration page, an app named BLOT starts.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

The Blot (Phantom Blot) was a nemesis of Mickey Mouse! :p
    [​IMG]

3. maui fog thread starter macrumors newbie

you must be tired

Thanks for the waste of space :mad:

4. Trip.Tucker Guest

Sorry dude, it seemed funny at the time. To answer your question, I am not familiar with BLOT. Google searching didn't turn up anything for me.

Create a text file on the desktop, name it index.html, then try double clicking on it. Does it open Safari? If not, the default handler for web pages may be incorrect and can be corrected by control clicking on the icon and changing the default application to use, in this case, Safari.

You may need to try index.htm as well. Let me know if that works.

5. Trip.Tucker Guest

6. maui fog thread starter macrumors newbie

7. maui fog thread starter macrumors newbie

well i guess the real question is does anyone know how to make it so?
    Ok what i mean is there a way that i can set safari to open when a program wants to call the internet? i admit i am new to mac. dont hate me i have 15 or more pcs and can set what applications open which file extensions but do not know how to do that on a mac.:(

8. Trip.Tucker Guest

Yes, there is a way. I outlined it above. You need to select a file then open the properties page for that file: Highlight the folder, click on File, Get Info. (you can also use control + click then Get Info, or right click the file, Get Info).

Once you have that open you will see a section around the middle called Open with: This section sets the default application used to open the file when you double click it.

Following is an example I found via Google:
    [​IMG]

In your case, you may see BLOT listed as the application to open these types of files with, and you would then select Safari, then click the Change All button to apply to all html files.

When your application installer has completed and wishes to register, it will try to open a web page, typically a .html or .htm page, which if you follow the above steps should open Safari correctly.

Now, if after all that, you still have problems with application registration, grab this application which is free: http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/ which allows you to control all your file associations.

Download: link

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]