Does anyone know what cameras work perfectly with the iPad camera connection kit?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maf2k8, Mar 16, 2011.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok so i am in the market for a new Digital camera ( point and shoot ) and i am looking for something that uses a SD card ( my current Sony uses Memory stick Pro )

Anyway, i want a camera that can shoot 720p videos, Uses SD card and works perfectly with Macs and the iPad connection kit.

I hate having to import videos/pics, then encoding them to a certain format, then transferring them or i hate having to break out the USB cable all the time or a card reader.

I am looking to simply take pics and video, Pop out the SD card and be able to pop it into my iMac, Macbook or iPad 2 and have it transfer AND play the pics/and video i recorded with any need of encoding them or anything of that nature.

I tried to search a little and it seems Canon works pretty well with Macs, Could anyone give me some models? or brands that can do what i am looking for?

2. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I think a Canon Powershot G12 might fit your needs. I have an older Powershot and it works well with my iMac, don't have an iPad yet. You will need the camera connection kit to get the photos and video from the camera to the iPad.

If you take photos in RAW format, there can be more of a problem finding a camera that is supported by the OS, but jpg and video won't be a problem. G12 RAW format is supported.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1475

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I think almost any Canon would fit your requirements for compatibility. I really like my Powershot SX210IS. It works perfectly with both my Mac and iPad. I can test tonight if the iPad will play the HD video uploaded straight through the Camera Connection Kit. My two Canon DSLRs (Rebel XT and T2i) both work great with the iPad as well. If I remember I'll try a video from both the PnS and DSLR tonight and see how it goes.

The videos from both cameras played right in either iPhoto, Aperture or QuickTime with no conversion needed and I'm pretty sure they imported right into iMovie for editing.

4. rkahl macrumors 65816

As long as your camera uses an SD card your fine. The camera connection kit comes with 2 adapters. One is the SD card expansion slot (the only one I use for my camera). You just take the card out of your camera and connect it to your ipad. The other is the usb adapter... this one you just connect your camera directly to your iPad.