Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
It's been at 32 GB max for iMac chips for a long time. I'm just wondering if it will go up to 64 next time. Not that I need it or anything but if I buy the next retina iMac I will want it for 5 years or so and by that time 64 GB won't be implausible pricewise. It would be good for future proofing.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Most of the Skylake lineups will support DDR4 and DDR4 will enable more dense chips via 3D stacking, so you can get 16GB and 32GB DDR4 sticks for sure.

As far as I know, Skylake Xeon is supposed to support up to 32GB per stick but I haven't seen what it would be for the mobile or consumer desktop series.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Most of the Skylake lineups will support DDR4 and DDR4 will enable more dense chips via 3D stacking, so you can get 16GB and 32GB DDR4 sticks for sure.

As far as I know, Skylake Xeon is supposed to support up to 32GB per stick but I haven't seen what it would be for the mobile or consumer desktop series.

Thank you but I was more looking to find out how much the CPUs will actually be able to support. It is my understanding that even if denser ddr3 chips were available the current Haswell chips could only support 32 GBs of RAM. I was wondering if skylake would increase that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.