Does anyone know what the App launch lineup will be?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KratosKilla, Jun 8, 2008.

1. KratosKilla macrumors regular

Does anyone have an idea of what could be coming out and how much they will cost? And what new features have been pretty much confirmed for the new firmware on monday?

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

sure, i know only of the free apps in 2.0final:
    o Camera app updated
    o Video chat app
    o Blogging app

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I wouldn't imagine AOL just for a start would want users to have to pay for the AIM app, so a free IM app is pretty much guaranteed.

4. KratosKilla thread starter macrumors regular

What would the camera app entail? And would we see any games like spore or ubisoft projects? Does anyone know who has the beta?

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

oh and expect a free facebook app in the store.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Look at the SDK talk. Every company demoing will have something ready for the App Store at launch. Simple as that.
    As for the camera app, take a look at what it is now, then think updated camera, faster responses, switch to video mode option, possible flash etc etc. Then think easy links to upload to .mac (or whatever it may soon be called), flikr, Facebook etc. For starters.

7. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I would think that Apple would put up a lot of its own apps to ensure that for the debut of the App Store it is fully stocked. I would imagine that by pricing all of their own stuff at a fixed price (say, $4.99), they can put some pressure on the 3rd party developers to follow suit. As far as a new camera app, or calculator for that matter, any upgrade would almost certainly be part of the stock upgrade to v2.0. These are replacements for existing stock apps, so I don't see any other way around it.

As for specific titles, I'd say Apple will have a selection of board games and card games (the classics like checkers, chess, poker, solitaire, etc), a few odds and ends from the iPod touch (the separate Contacts App, the separate Videos and Music apps, etc), a "To-Do" extension to the calendar app (sync with iCal), and possibly mobile versions of the three iWork apps (or at least a way to view files from Keynote). From third party developers, I'd say we'll see something from OmniGroup, Delicious Monster, Panic, Google, etc. OmniFocus is begging for a mobile version, and I seem to remember the developer saying that an iPhone version was in the works. Delicious Library 2 just launched and had with it an iPhone friendly web export option. It is only a small step to guessing that a mobile version is being cooked up as well (imagine using the iPhone camera to scan barcodes). For that matter, Amazon might put out its own iPhone barcode scanner so that you can compare prices with their store right from inside a local Borders! Google will probably come out with its own app to consolidate many of its web app offerings. As far as user experience goes, having all the images and structure already on the phone would make things much smoother, even if you are still getting all of the content from the web. I feel that a lot of web apps will go this way as soon as the developers figure out Cocoa and Xcode (so expect big name developers like Google and Amazon to make the leap first). Many of the game developers that have been putting out iPod titles probably also have had teams working on touch versions, so expect most if not all of them to be upgraded in the near future. Also, I expect that a wide array of "Notes"-like apps will come out thanks to the apparent disgust with the Marker Felt font and lack of copy/paste. Even if Apple fixes these issues on Monday, there is still a lot of room for competition here.

It may sound odd, but Microsoft will probably have something to show as well. The key to maintaining Office as the dominant suite depends on them being able to penetrate any potential threat. Having a stripped down Office (similar in scope to what is on Windows Mobile) is almost certain. The only question is how long until it shows up. Microsoft's Mac unit is kind of small, so they might have a demo to show by WWDC, but the launch product will almost certainly have to wait until 2009.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd agree that the Store will come well stocked. Never enough for some, as they'll complain Apple is vetting what gets on, but it helps with quality and security.
    Apple has already been commented on by having some persuasion of the developers to price above free, via the Apple app liasion people.
    Apple will upgrade any current apps on the iPhone and Touch for free i'd imagine, but new OS 2.0 apps might be charged (that or Touch users pay a nominal upgrade fee). All the GTD programs will probably be porting, then from Joe's Goals to Phun. Hopefully SlideRocket will run on iPhone too! Some competition to Microsoft Office never goes amis. Expect Google's sete of apps to be there too.

Also, look at whatever is planned for Android, and expect it to be there for Apple. A fair few developers might do the App for Apple, then port it over to Android. e.g. here

There was a Scoble qik video about barcode and object identification but I can't find the link post yet.
    Edit: here - Go down to the SCoble qik.com videos. People are basically groking beyond Barcodes as we speak - heck - if you look at what Microsoft Photosynth has planned in the future they're talking identifying location by geo tag &/or the scenery and buildings. Google's Panoramio is doing the same I'd imagine. link here for some more info

So - a large app lineup.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think Apple will continue to nickel and dime Touch users.

I personally didn't consider the $20 I paid to put the iPhone apps on my Touch... to be a "nominal" upgrade fee.

(If it had been new apps, they'd have been a deal.)

10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

A big point to make is, new firmware has NOT been confirmed for monday at all...we know it's coming by the end of June, but not when.

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The App Store is going to be huge in comparison to anything they get from the Touch users. We await the details of the App Store with interest.

12. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

um Digital Zoom:)

13. newyorksole macrumors 68030

The App store is also gonna have the app that lets you edit and distort pictures along with AIM and a slew of other things.

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

What exactly would be the point of a native Facebook app? the full site is online only anyways. Or am I missing something here?:confused:

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It could use more with the features of the iPhone, and it'd give a little quicker access to the user's Facbook home page for starters.

16. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Please let there be a note taking app that pairs with a bluetooth keyboard. If this happens, I may die of excitement.

17. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

yes, you are. Uploading photos to your facebook albums for one.

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It'll be interesting to see how the older market takes the iPhone too. i'm not so much talking about apps that do this - but the retired generation is a big segment of the internet using population and does have the money to be able to buy such a purchase as an iPhone. I know in the elderly, easy to use = actually used. How many aunties and uncles, mothers and fathers, elderly relatives and friends don't use technology as it's too confusing/not easy enough to use? From a music player, to a phone, a video player to a GPS, a DVR to an internet browser.

19. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

i've gotta touch. i got $45 in my itunes waiting for apps and the 2.0 software
    :)

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Preloaded your account? Anything in mind to get?

21. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

My dad is only 45, and he still struggles to use the iPhone. He didn't realize that there was a silent switch until he owned it for about two months.
    He still plans on getting the new iPhone the day it's launched though. :p

22. verdee macrumors newbie

I'm really hoping that epocrates (medical reference) will be released. Especially since I get my subscription for free from school. I am getting really tired of using their web app on my phone.

23. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No one has any clue... why would they??

24. SRSound macrumors 6502

How 'bout full note syncing to go with that? :rolleyes: