Does anyone know what this is??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chromite, Sep 9, 2014.

1. chromite macrumors regular

Hey guys, these weird lines (some are scratches but the majority aren't) have appeared near the edge of my macbook, directly to the right of the trackpad. I take really good care of it and the only thing I can think of is that the oils from my hand are causing the aluminum to react somehow because thats pretty much where I rest my palm most of the time.

Anyone else ever see this? It's almost like someone is taking sandpaper and scrubbing the aluminum...

Thanks in advance: http://i.imgur.com/9iSbJWD.jpg

2. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

It looks like scratches. Must be an object doing that. Do you have hard nails or wear jewelry on your right hand?

3. chromite thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing, not even a watch. I'm also the sole user of this macbook. Really weird.

4. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Not weird. Do you have sweaty palms or handle some sort of substance without washing your hands before you use your computer? Whatever on your skin is reacting with the aluminium.

5. chromite thread starter macrumors regular

I wash my hands many times a day, however I do come into contact with benzoyl peroxide on a daily basis. I think it acts like a bleach but would that affect aluminum?

6. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

There you go. Benzoyl peroxide is a bleach. If you apply it to your skin or handle it with your bare hands, it will get absorbed into your skin and then it will likely come back out over time - not just where you applied it, but all over your body!

Solution, stop applying it to your skin or wear gloves when you handle it.