Does anyone know whats happening with this?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by groovdudeyo, Jan 23, 2009.

1. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

I heard on the radio a few months ago about some guy that used to work for hp or ibm that discovered a storage technology that could hold 100 times more in the same size hard drive or chip thingy for ipods. Yeah seriously 100 times more and they are very cheap to make apparently. well just after this guy discovered this he quit and went to work for apple and in turn giving them the technology. I heard that the company that the guy used to work for is sueing apple for the rights or something like this. so does anyone know whats going on with this?

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

You mean he found a new file format that is much smaller? A 16GB hard drive can only hold 16GB no matter what...not 1,600GB.

3. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Wait what?? i said that they could fit 100 times more in the same size as in area taken up.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

haha sorry, it's been a long day. I didn't hear anything about this, but the person must have come up with a very very compressed file format that still maintains good quality. Let me know if you find any articles about this.

5. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

hmm interesting... havent heard anything about it. Wouldnt surprise me though with technology these days.

6. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

I'm sure that it's real but I just haven't heard anything about the lawsuit. It doesn't involve compressed files or anything it has something spinning inside of it. I just really hope apple wins cuz I REALLY want a 3000 gig touch!

7. kshat28 macrumors member

I heard about this story going around about this, but i think that the new technology is made up. The originally story was that an ibm employee quit for a job at apple. But in the ibm contract it says that an employee could not quit to go work for a competitor, like apple.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

If i remember correctly there was a court marshal on this as the guy worked for a different company, apple, and ibm sued them.

9. willardhlp macrumors newbie

The tech you are probably thinking about is racetrack memory but the guy that Apple hired away from IBM didn't have anything to do with it I don't believe.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's not what he's talking about. It's a tech that allows for 100GB of data to fit on a card where previously only 1GB of data could fit. So like how a couple of years ago we could only fit 120GB on a laptop drive, now we're pushing a TB on the same size drive.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or maybe the quantum drive that debuted a few years ago with compact flash that held 400GB and had speeds of gigabyte/second read/write.

12. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Even though a technology like this probably exists it's unlike it will be hitting the shelves any time soon.

13. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Sucks for you, because iPhone's and iPod Touches don't use hard drives. They use flash drives. We're still quite a ways away from having a 3,000GB iPod Touch. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away.

14. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

did you read the whole thread? and this affects all kind of drives at least thats what the guy that invented it said.

15. mufflon macrumors 6502

I think you mean papermaster from IBM... ... the technology revolves around negative and positive charged elements at the nano level - don't remember more, but papermaster wasn't the sole developer of the thing - but had a management(esque) position in the same department.

The lawsauit against apple was that papermaster had signed a non-competition agreement with IBM, the case ruled in favor of IBM (afaik), but I believe that apple made arrangements with IBM or the non-competition didn't last overly long.

16. munchmime macrumors member

vertical bytes...or stacking

I thnk the technology you are talking about was the discovery of how to stack the byte, so to speak, on it's end and read it that way- as opposed to the common way of laying it on it's side.
    That was news years ago but faded away rather quickly.