Does anyone know where I can get this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Aug 12, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I have a friend who is from China and she has an American first / last name but her middle name is her name from China, so it's in Chinese. I was thinking a cool gift would be a keychain or something that has her name engraved in it but so it would be like [American First Name] [Chinese Middle Name] [American Last Name]. But the point is that it would need to have English alphabet and also Chinese characters on it.

Does such a service exist that makes a product like that that anyone has seen?

Edit: or a bracelet or jewelry or something. Anything along the lines.

2. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Check out Things Remembered. Hope this helps!

I've ordered many things from them and am always completely satisfied.

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does it work if you put in non-English characters / symbols?

4. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Hmm... Visit or call the closest location and ask them.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I used to work there, both as management and as the store's master engraver.

You can in fact get a custom design, provided the store doesn't have the necessary Chinese character(s) on hand. It won't be cheap though. It will be treated as a custom logo, the cost for this is $50. However, if you buy at least $50 worth of merchandise, they should waive that fee.

That being said, you'll have to bring in a drawing/printout/whatever of what you want. It will get sent off to TR headquarters and in about 2 weeks your local store will get a disk back containing your brand new logo. the good news is that if you ever want to use that design again, they'll have it on hand and only normal engraving rates will apply (when I was there it was $3/word, $6/design, $6 minimum).

This next part I can't stress enough, mainly because the percentage of customers who would actually listen to me about this was in the single digits. The designs are scaled to fit the piece being engraved. If you end up having a lot of detail, get something with a fairly large engraving area. If it's small it will NOT show up well.

If they don't have what you're looking for in-house (I really don't recommend 95% of their merchandise as it's mostly made-in-China garbage), you can always bring in something you bought elsewhere. Keep it under $300 or they won't touch it - if they screw it up they're responsible for replacing it. It costs extra to bring in something ($10 over the cost of the engraving if the value is under $100).

If you have any questions, don't just ask the salesperson. If possible, speak to the person who is actually going to do the work. If they work order is filled out correctly, it will have the ID of the person who wrote the order and the ID of the person who performed the work.

Hope this helps.