Does anyone know where I can Unlock an Iphone in London?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nwlondonlad, Sep 27, 2007.

1. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Please does anyone know anywhere in or just outside London where I can unlock an iphone?

I'm going to New York next week and I feel it will be difficult for me not to buy one whilst I'm there considering the £70 difference and the fact that if i did wait for Nov 9th in the UK i would have got it unlocked, as there is no way I'm taking out an 18 month contract O2.

I know a new update is coming out in a matter of days that could potentially brick my iphone but I'm not worried about that as I wont update the iphone till its been tested and found hack worthy. So if anyone knows anywhere where they unlock the Iphone please let me know, I don't want to risk doing it myself for fear of bricking it in the process, I'm useless like that :p

Thanks

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

As of right now I suspect DIY is the only way to go.

I don't think the Oxford street cell-shops are doing it yet… ;)

3. nwlondonlad thread starter macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

True! I will be in oxford circus area later on today so i'll ask around. They are quite a number of people in the UK with iphones already so i'm thinking there has to be some little shop unlocking somewhere. I might try the same in New York too but thanks :)

4. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I think the majority of those people will be DIY'ers and if you do find someone that will do it, it wont be a 10 quid job I would expect people will be charging abit more to unlock an iPhone, more like £50+ as it is a little more than plugging it into a laptop in their shop and running a program.

Why don't you do it yourself too, there a plenty of help websites out there.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Agree. I wouldn't let anyone else get their hands on it… what recourse do yo have if they screw it up? If you do it yourself, at least you can bame yourself! :p
    Quite frankly, I'd wait 'till after the next update and see what happens…

6. nwlondonlad thread starter macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Point taken! I wouldn't mind paying as much as £50 to get it unlocked. Its the getting it activated that is going to be the hard part for me since I will have to bypass ATT as i will be back in London by then. I'm a PC user and quite a lot of the activation hacks are for Macs. I'll definitely wait for the update and see how they take it in New York. But once again Thanks for the advice.

7. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I may be mistaken, but I think the more 'automated' hacks are for PC, I will see if I can find a link for you.

8. nwlondonlad thread starter macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Thanks in advance! I'm aware of the common one for PC users called Ibrickr. Theres is also app installer which allows you to installs applications to your iphone but i don't think it can actually activate your phone straight out of the box.

Just got back from Oxford street in London and searched for shops that can unlock the Iphone. A few of them hadn't heard of the phone (surprise surprise), others said they could do it and would cost btw £30-£50 and a couple said they were expecting the unlock software this weekend and gave me their business cards to call them back to find out. The general consensus from them is that it can be done. I think I'm going to risk it and buy one when I'm in New York next week and save me the extra £70 I would have to pay in Nov. I might even see if i can get it unlocked whilst I'm in New York.