does anyone know why my keys wont 'click' back onto the white thingos?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mackeyssuck, Apr 15, 2014.

1. mackeyssuck macrumors newbie

Grrrrrrr, i've been trying for ages.
    I was even about to order new keys online but then I realised I think it's me, not the keys. I don't think they are broken? It's the f5 and f6 keys. Here is a pic:
    http://oi61.tinypic.com/2pyyuj8.jpg
    i've been trying for ages trying to get them to click back in, but it feels like they are just balancing along the rubbery ball part and not clicking in, no matter what method I try. I've tried youtubing it, I've tried turning it the other ways, swapping, taking the white thing apart. The white thing clicks in the little slots, it makes the click sound, so I know it's clicking in, it's just then I try to put the key cap on and it just 'balance', like I said, and doesn't click :(
    So frustrating, does anyone know what I can maybe try to get it to work. I honestly don't think they are broken, it's a vastly new computer and I haven't been rough with the keys at all, I just took them off to clean under and now I regret it.

2. mizzouxc macrumors member

I've had this happen to one of my keyboards. From your photo, the best I can tell, it looks like the keys are actually broken. The nubs on the left and right that normally "click" over the retainer have broken. :(

My computer was maybe 3 months old when this happened to me, I called and they replaced the KeyBoard for me.

3. mackeyssuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I guess I would agree for the f6 key. But, for the f5 key, I only took it off this morning to see if I could get that one back on, because that one wasn't broken and had never been taken off, and now it's the same problem, I keep thinking maybe it's the way I'm positioning it on. Does anyone have any tips for getting them on? (The f5 one at least)

4. cyber16, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

cyber16 macrumors 6502