Does anyone know why volume dips after a message?

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
When I receive a message while music is playing on my iPhone 4 the music stops briefly while the notification sound plays, the music starts up again, and then there is a strange reduction in volume that lasts almost a second before everything goes back to normal. It almost sounds like some kind of aftershock from the original notifcation sound pause... very strange. Is this a bug or does it serve some functional purpose?

This is my first iPhone, so maybe this has been happening since the original?

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
It's normal behavior, intended to "fade in" the audio.
Thanks for the reply. Fading the audio back in makes sense. It's just strange and a little awkward that audio would kick back in at full volume for a few moments before the "fade in" effect occurs.

Comment

gigapocket1

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2009
Happens to me also.. I especially notice it when I have hooked up to my car.. I don't think it's meant to fade the audio in.. I think it's just a bug.. It didn't start happening till 4.0.. I think the phone mutes the sound to play the notification.. But instead.. It mutes the sound after notification has already been played..

Comment

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I posted about it on the Apple forums. I swear if they don't fix it they are going to get a lawsuit. I have been blasted with the earbuds on multiple times now. It hurts.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2495721
Thanks for that link. I tried searching for the problem and couldn't come up with anything.

This didn't really bother me up until yesterday when I bought some Bose Quietcomfort 15 headphones. The noise reduction is so crazy with these things that any fluctuation in volume is noticeable. BTW, these headphones kick ass.

Comment

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I am glad I am not the only one who notices this! Every time my mail notification occurs, my music does this! The "aftershock" volume reduction *has* to go :O

Comment

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Huh. I've never noticed this on mine at all, thankfully.
Play music in pandora/ipod.

With a computer, send an email to an account linked to your iphone.

Keep the music playing and wait for the message notification alert to appear on your screen.

Listen for the "aftershock" noise reduction once playback resumes.

Comment

XCoNEPSILON

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Central Texas
Yeah, this has been happening since 4.0. I've just learned to ignore it and enjoy my beautiful iPhone :D

Edit: 4.0.1 is doing the same thing.

Comment

alanisrox69

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Yup, I mentioned this the day after launch. I'm still on 4.0 (not 4.0.1)...but I think 4.0.1 has the same glitch.

Comment

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Play music in pandora/ipod.

With a computer, send an email to an account linked to your iphone.

Keep the music playing and wait for the message notification alert to appear on your screen.

Listen for the "aftershock" noise reduction once playback resumes.
No, I've gotten both emails and texts while listening to music dozens of times...I just don't get that effect. I mean, yes, it fades out a bit, then plays the tone, then fades right back into music. I don't get any of that sequence out of order, nor do I get my eardrums blown out by any loud bursts of music or tones. Basically, my iPhone 4 sounds exactly the same as my 3GS did under those circumstances.

Comment

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
It has been driving me nuts. Mine fades to play the sounds, then a second later it fades again without playing a sound.

Second thing that annoys me - I can't play pandora and skobbler at the same time!

Comment

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
No, I've gotten both emails and texts while listening to music dozens of times...I just don't get that effect. I mean, yes, it fades out a bit, then plays the tone, then fades right back into music. I don't get any of that sequence out of order, nor do I get my eardrums blown out by any loud bursts of music or tones. Basically, my iPhone 4 sounds exactly the same as my 3GS did under those circumstances.
That's interesting. I've only noticed this audio effect with email notifications. I have two accounts currently synced to my iPhone.

Comment

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I get this at work a lot while listening to Pandora. I don't notice it as much while driving, but maybe because I concentrate more on other things then. It gets annoying after awhile.

Comment

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
This has been my experience with both my 3GS and 4. When the music fades back in it never gets louder, it resumes at the same volume.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.