Does anyone know why volume dips after a message?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UCLAKoolman, Jul 29, 2010.

1. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

When I receive a message while music is playing on my iPhone 4 the music stops briefly while the notification sound plays, the music starts up again, and then there is a strange reduction in volume that lasts almost a second before everything goes back to normal. It almost sounds like some kind of aftershock from the original notifcation sound pause... very strange. Is this a bug or does it serve some functional purpose?

This is my first iPhone, so maybe this has been happening since the original?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's normal behavior, intended to "fade in" the audio.

3. UCLAKoolman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. Fading the audio back in makes sense. It's just strange and a little awkward that audio would kick back in at full volume for a few moments before the "fade in" effect occurs.

4. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Happens to me also.. I especially notice it when I have hooked up to my car.. I don't think it's meant to fade the audio in.. I think it's just a bug.. It didn't start happening till 4.0.. I think the phone mutes the sound to play the notification.. But instead.. It mutes the sound after notification has already been played..

5. oakfan52 macrumors newbie

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

LOL Lawsuit? Anyway, keep dreaming about that.

7. oakfan52 macrumors newbie

I didn't mean that as I would file one. I am just saying that someone will. And they will win just like they did with the ipod volume.

8. UCLAKoolman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that link. I tried searching for the problem and couldn't come up with anything.

This didn't really bother me up until yesterday when I bought some Bose Quietcomfort 15 headphones. The noise reduction is so crazy with these things that any fluctuation in volume is noticeable. BTW, these headphones kick ass.

9. Branskins macrumors 65816

I am glad I am not the only one who notices this! Every time my mail notification occurs, my music does this! The "aftershock" volume reduction *has* to go :O

10. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Huh. I've never noticed this on mine at all, thankfully.

11. UCLAKoolman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Play music in pandora/ipod.

With a computer, send an email to an account linked to your iphone.

Keep the music playing and wait for the message notification alert to appear on your screen.

Listen for the "aftershock" noise reduction once playback resumes.

12. XCoNEPSILON macrumors member

XCoNEPSILON

Yeah, this has been happening since 4.0. I've just learned to ignore it and enjoy my beautiful iPhone :D

Edit: 4.0.1 is doing the same thing.

13. alanisrox69 macrumors regular

Yup, I mentioned this the day after launch. I'm still on 4.0 (not 4.0.1)...but I think 4.0.1 has the same glitch.

14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

No, I've gotten both emails and texts while listening to music dozens of times...I just don't get that effect. I mean, yes, it fades out a bit, then plays the tone, then fades right back into music. I don't get any of that sequence out of order, nor do I get my eardrums blown out by any loud bursts of music or tones. Basically, my iPhone 4 sounds exactly the same as my 3GS did under those circumstances.

15. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

It has been driving me nuts. Mine fades to play the sounds, then a second later it fades again without playing a sound.

Second thing that annoys me - I can't play pandora and skobbler at the same time!

16. UCLAKoolman thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's interesting. I've only noticed this audio effect with email notifications. I have two accounts currently synced to my iPhone.

17. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

I get this at work a lot while listening to Pandora. I don't notice it as much while driving, but maybe because I concentrate more on other things then. It gets annoying after awhile.

18. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

This has been my experience with both my 3GS and 4. When the music fades back in it never gets louder, it resumes at the same volume.