Does anyone like the new keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickPhamUK, Nov 9, 2016.

1. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Just received the machine, and I don't like it. Thinking of returning it back and getting the 2015 version.

4 things:
    1. The key travel is much shorter, as if you're not pressing the keys but touching them. I personally don't like the feel.
    2. What irks me the most is the keyboard noise. It's extremely loud in a silent room. I don't think it'd be good to bring the machine to the library or to the classroom, you will distract other people.
    3. Gaming on this keyboard is atrocious! I'm a huge fan of Starcraft 2, Skyrim and FIFA (basically games that use a lot of keyboard) and urhhh...
    4. On the brighter side, the keyboard is MUCH better than the rMB 12". So folks coming from the rMB might like the butterfly keyboard v2.

Will get the 2015 version. Hope that in 4-5 years the new keyboard will improve, can't force myself to like it :(

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Loud keyboard and you have to keep your eyes on the screen all that time to confirm you are typing what you want to type. It's for generation auto-type who want the computer to do everything for them.

3. leman macrumors 604

I don't think that anyone has owned the new keyboard for long enough to make a clear judgement. I tried it out very briefly, and it certainly needs some time to get used to — as is any keyboard. The key size is different from the previous layout, but the keys themselves are larger and easier to press. I think it might be better long-term for a fast typist , and also easier on your finger joints.

4. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

I love the new keyboard I had the MacBook before so I am used to it. For people complaining about the noise you don't need to whack the keys to make them work

5. Hyloba macrumors 6502

I didn't like them in store, but then again, coming from a traditional external logitech keyboard, I at first also didn't like my ultrabook chiclet keyboard. Now I prefer it over those traditional keyboards.

6. Softwarez macrumors member

I've tried it in store and I actually like it. The larger sized keys actually increase my accuracy when typing.

As for the feel, I find the lack of travel strange but not deal breaking. Mind, my current ultrabook for 2 years is a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro which also has really short key travel and I've gotten used to it.