Does anyone NOT have problems streaming media to the PS3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ClemTiger0408, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

I have a 2007 MBP, PS3, and AEBS (early 2009 version).

I own both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 but I prefer the PS3 as my media hub.

I can stream videos to my Xbox 360 from my Macbook Pro with absolutely no problems. Both my MBP and the Xbox 360 are wireless.

With my PS3, however, it is a different story. Videos that I've streamed to my Xbox 360 with very few issues are completely unwatchable on the PS3. The videos constantly stutter and rebuffer constantly. I am not over exaggerating at all when I say its unwatchable.

I have read about this issue from different people all over the internet. What I want to know is, does anyone NOT have any issues streaming?

I have the older PS3 (non-slim) and I use MediaLink to stream to the PS3.

And the "videos" I am referencing are home movies I filmed of my child.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I do NOT have any issues streaming to my PS3, its a launch 60GB machine (upgraded to 500GB). I use either TVersity or PS3 Media Server to stream media to the PS3. TVersity is Windows only, PS3 Media Server is available for Mac/Windows and its free. http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

I regularly stream Blu Ray quality video with DD 5.1 audio, I have no stutter, nor does it stop to rebuffer at all during playback. When I had a Mac one thing I noticed was that MediaLink stinks compared to the Windows streaming options available for free. MediaLink is more than likely the culprit. If you are trying to stream HD over WiFi that could also cause stuttering or rebuffering since WiFi bandwidth isn't as stable as wired.

3. ClemTiger0408 thread starter macrumors 6502

Were you using WiFi?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No issues with nullrivers medialink on ps3 via wifi here. Yes it can takea few seconds for a file to start but it always does and seems to work flawlessley for me.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm running medialink and it works flawless over wifi...sometimes the file will take a few seconds to start but once it kicks in its good.

I have two PS3 and I use the original 60GB version for a media center.

Bless

6. angelneo macrumors 68000

No issues here as well, but I'm using windows media center, with my PS3 on wireless.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

What type of files? H.264 MPEG-4 files?

The PS3 is notoriously picky about header information. If an MPEG-4 file contains any non-standard or additional information, it can cause problems.

If you have QuickTime Pro, you may try exporting the file without re-encoding to a standards compliant MPEG-4 container. It’s called “QuickTime badging.”

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7438448#post7438448

I believe some of the PS3-specific DLNA streaming applications can fix this on the fly. However, you have to be careful. You don’t want TVersity or PS3 Media Server transcoding your files if they’re well within the PS3’s playback specs. That would be a waste of computing resources and you would be applying yet another level of compression.

Unlike the PS3, the XBOX 360 pretty much ignores bad header information and tries to the play the file anyway.

8. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

I also use MediaLink with an 80GB PS3, and I get regular DLNA errors when doing basic tasks like scrolling through an album list. Most of the time I can still play the files, but these errors will sometimes break the network connection.

Given that these errors will take down my wifi connection altogether (need to restart the router in order to get any wifi signal reestablished), I suspect that the issue is more with my Netgear router than with MediaLink or the PS3.

Thanks for the link to PS3 Media Server, I'll have to give that a try and see if it works better. Otherwise, I might have to bite the bullet and shell out for a new router.

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

There does seem to be a serious problem with streaming media via Wifi on (at least some) PS3 consoles. I play the same videos, streaming from the same server on the same Wifi network on my 360, and they play flawlessly - but I'd prefer to use the PS3 since it's sooooo much quieter.

I upgraded to a Belkin N router, and there was a big difference in playback (not sure why, since I don't think the PS3 has N Wifi?), most movies are watchable now.

I use Rivet for streaming to both PS3 & 360, but IME there isn't much performance difference between servers.

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    No problem here. I use PS3 Media Server on Windows 7, and Nullriver on Mac.

I have a Buffalo router. All devices are wired. Though I used to stream wireless from my Mac in my old apartment and there weren't any issues.

It may be your router.

11. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

I have had no trouble streaming content from my iMac and NAS using Nullriver to my PS3. I do get a lot of errors if I use the UPnP protocols that are built into the PS3 and NAS. (Game consoles claim UPnP protocols are there but seem to be problematic) I have a NAS full of DVD rips, and the PS3 does not recognize the TS folder structure. I run my PS3 wired through a Gigabit switch and found it to be more than fast enough.
    I recently purchased a Popcorn Hour C-200, it streams every audio and video format I can throw at it. It is also much easier to navigate for everyone else in the house.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I just picked up my first PS3, and I'm sad to say I suffer the same issues. Some DivX files run fine, but some other ones stutter and buffer constantly, and almost all MP4's/M4V's stutter. :/

I'm using a Belkin 802.11g wireless router.

I'm probably going to get a hard drive and just copy a lot of videos directly to it, but I'm disappointed in the streaming so far. Over half my library doesn't play watchably.

I'm using Nullriver's MediaLink. 2.0a crashes on me, so I downgraded to 1.7.2 IIRC. I tried PS3 Media Server, but it kept giving me a "Could not detect PS3" error and the interface felt somewhat clunky; I couldn't find any options to help me deal with the error. MediaLink worked instantly, meanwhile.

Anyone have any tips? Maybe PS3 Media Server would work better (plus transcoding MKVs sounds like a helpful feature).

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Would someone be so kind as to help me with this? PS3 Media Server just blinks "Could Not Detect PS3".

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Got PS3 Media Server to see the PS3 by forcing it to use en0, but now I get DLNA error 2104 whenever I choose a video to watch. :/

Anyone have any experience?

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i use ps3 media server with no lag. when i was using media whatever from null river it laggeg BIG time

gfl: did you forward your port for the ps3 media server in your router?

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nullriver MediaLink only lags on MP4 files. Plays AVI files without a hitch. Can't play MKV of course.

I've put this PC in my router's DMZ, so I don't believe I need to mess around with port forwarding. And MediaLink works fine. Only PS3 Media Server gives me DLNA errors every time I try to play a video. >_<