Does anyone notice......

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kone 33, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Kone 33 macrumors newbie

For those of you that have both the original IPad and IPad 2 do you notice a big difference in the speed that web pages are loaded. All of a sudden on my original IPad I am noticing that sometimes it takes forever to load a web page. I have not upgraded yet to 4.3. I have tried resetting it as well as deleting and reinstalling my router. It doesn't happen on every web page.
    I would love your imput as I am still trying to decide if it's worth it to buy the IPad 2.
    Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4.3 has some significant performance improvements with safari. If you're dissatisfied with safari, try apply the update as that will fix some of your frustrations

3. Kone 33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick response. I was afraid to update as I have heard mixed reviews. I also installed the Terra web browser as I heard that was faster than Safari. it seems to be a little faster, but it too gets hung up sometimes when loading web pages.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

An iPad 2 isn't really going to increase the performance of a web browser.

I mean will a mac pro provide a faster browsing experience then a mac mini. For the part no. A browser's bottleneck is not the processor. Now the iPad 2 I believe has more ram and that might help some large sites from being bogged down but to be honest, I never really noticed a problem with that on my iPad 1

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm noticing a HUGE difference. With the ipad1 I'd constantly see checkerboards when scrolling up and down and slow loading sites. With the ipad2 I still see some slowdown on large sites but it's much improved, but to my surprise I have yet to see a checkerboard.

6. silverblack, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Direct comparison of the two iPads on YouTube videos proved this statement wrong. See it for yourself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_jHxKEd86Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not a hugh difference, but a difference, in just about everything single task they performed.

7. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I noticed a difference immediately. One of the few real improvements that I probably use every day and don't really appreciate fully. The loading speed is quicker and page scrolling is a lot better. iPad1's safari experience was a lot like using safari on my iphone, good and decent but I was conscious of it not being a real computer bec. of the slight delays. With iPad2, I feel like that gap in performance has narrowed enough where sometimes I forget that I am browsing on a tablet. Screen res. is still too low to make me truly forget that this isn't the same as my laptop.

8. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

9. infidel69 macrumors regular

Hows about not giving threads stupid incomplete titles.

10. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

.....that sometimes people try and make witty thread titles but fail horribly?

11. MasterTick macrumors 6502

Sorry, you're mistaken, extra RAM helps but on a device like this the bottleneck is the CPU.

Your analogy makes sense comparing a Mac Mini to Mac Pro because both have very fast processors, but coming from a 1GHz to a dual core 1GHz is quite the jump.

12. gatearray macrumors 65816

Which laptop do you have? To my knowledge, the iPad screen PPI is sharper or as sharp as most all laptops out there, particularly MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Personally, I love my iPad display.