Does anyone on the iOS 8 beta have the WiFi calling feature available to them?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by N3wbi3, Jun 2, 2014.

1. N3wbi3 macrumors newbie

If so which carrier are you on? (Trying to figure out if it's only for T-mobile users)

2. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

its only for T-Mobile and its not in this beta

3. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

:( Really? You've tested that it isn't in this beta?

4. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Yep

5. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

6. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

The report said "multiple carriers" including tmobile, so I assume there are no other major US carriers involved, or they'd be stated.

7. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

then why bother?
    what are there nearly 500 TMobile users?

8. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Tmobile is the only U.S carrier to provide this service could ATT and Verizon add it sure but will they who knows.

9. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Who said it was gonna be a T-Mobile only exclusive feature?

10. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

It could get a lot more people to switch to TMobile if they market it right. The would basically have service everywhere since you'd just have to connect to a Wi-Fi connection.

----------

So far it is only a TMobile feature. They have come out and said they are going to support it, and no other American carrier has.

11. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Read my post right above yours

12. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

LOL!

BTW- it isn't service anywhere you have wifi.
    You still need a cellular signal + both devices must be on the same wifi network.

13. Scandalus macrumors newbie

I don't get it... don't we already have this? Like recieving a call while you're on wifi? :confused:

14. 869639 macrumors 6502

What...No you don't need Cellular signal if WiFi Calling is enabled...thats the whole purpose of it....and what two devices are you talking about? Other use? No they are not required to be on the same WiFi...you are confusing things with those Walkie talkie apps....

15. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

It's about using that wifi connection for the call, rather than the cell tower, you know? This is a new feature. So no minutes are used.

16. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

sorry, I thought we were talking about this:
    iPad and Mac, now answering the call.
    Sometimes when your iPhone rings, it’s not where you are. Maybe it’s charging in another room. Or it’s buried in your backpack. But your Mac or iPad is sitting right there. Now you can make and receive phone calls on those devices as long as your iPhone running iOS 8 is on the same Wi-Fi network. Incoming calls show the caller’s name, number, and profile picture. Just click or swipe the notification to answer, ignore, or respond with a quick message. And making a phone call from your iPad or Mac is just as easy. Simply tap or click a phone number in Contacts, Calendar, or Safari. It all works with your existing iPhone number, so there’s nothing to set up.

Doesn't this just allow you to answer a cell call via wifi on your Mac? I think it still requires your cell phone and an actual incoming call. Or are we discussing another feature?

17. 0000757 macrumors 68040

Because right now T-Mobile is the only US carrier that supports Wi-Fi calling?

I think Sprint is doing a test run though.

----------

This is a different feature.

Wi-Fi Calling is a feature that allows carriers to route phone calls through a Wi-Fi Network, operating in a similar fashion to VoIP, rather than using the carrier's cell towers.

This is good for people who live in an area with poor reception, as now they're able to get crystal-clear HD calls even if they had 0 bars, as long as they have a Wi-Fi connection.

With receiving calls on your Mac/iPad, that's simply iOS treating those devices as a bluetooth speaker, essentially.

18. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

It's a carrier dependent feature. While Apple supports it your carrier has to also. Right now in the United States T-Mobile and Sprint are the ONLY carriers that support it. So that is why those 2 carriers are the only ones getting the feature.

19. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

is anyone able to use this feature...I can't seem to get it to work either.

20. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I know that in the UK, the O2 network offer wifi-calling through their own iOS app called "TU Go" to make calls from tablets and laptops using your monthly allowance. It's currently available for iOS 5 and above, Android 2.3 and later and Windows 7 for PC.

So i'm thinking it may be integrated with iOS 8's new wifi-calling feature instead of needing their standalone app and I'm suspecting other carriers in the UK will follow.

21. 0000757 macrumors 68040

It's not available in the current Developer Preview.

22. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

You don't understand what it is then. This is WiFi calling, not the calling from your Mac through your phone. It's using the WiFi to make calls instead of the cellular network....so really....LOL!

23. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

This is an interesting feature.

I have Three's Home Signal box which plugs into a router and broadcasts a 3G signal. My phone picks up the signal just as it would from a cell tower, but everything's routed through my broadband connection. It's for those who have poor signal at home, other networks have similar devices.

Wi-fi calling means people in poor signal areas won't need these mini cell towers. Cool!

Btw, I'm pretty sure Three still count the minutes (and certainly the data) that you use whilst connected to the Home Signal box. Presumably calls still have to route through some of their equipment in order to connect the call to the other person's device with normal cellular signal.

So what I'm saying is, I wouldn't assume that wi-fi calling necessarily means it won't use up your minutes. That's probably a carrier decision.

24. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

25. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Nope