Does anyone own a 2010 iMac and Dragon Age for Mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tehpwnerer19, Dec 12, 2010.

1. tehpwnerer19, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

tehpwnerer19 macrumors member

I am looking at buying Dragon Age Ultimate Edition for either my Mac or my Xbox 360. I hear that the performance is better on the PC/Mac version if your computer has the graphics power for it. I have a 2010 27" iMac, 2.93 GHz i7, 8 GB DDR3, ati 5750 (5840m) but can't find any info on this. Could someone with a similar setup please chime in and let me know if I can play it maxed out or not? Thanks.

BTW: I want to play the game in OS X, not sure if there is any graphical difference between the PC and Mac version of the game. I don't want to install Winblows if I don't have to.

2. Loramarthalas macrumors member

Loramarthalas

I have a 2.93 i7 and I have installed Dragon Age under bootcamp.

I can tell you that the performance is incredible. Everything maxed. Native resolution. The magic mouse is terrible for gaming, but that's the only real issue.

As for performance under OSX, I couldn't say for sure. But how different could it be? It's the same specs after all. Maybe the drivers arent quite as optimised but that shouldnt make too much difference.

3. tehpwnerer19 thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and buy it then. Thanks again.

4. Gauntlet macrumors newbie

As another data point, I have the exact same setup you have and I play Dragon Age on OSX and I think it plays great. I used the gametreeonline service to purchase my copy of the game. My settings are not maxed but they are on the high-end. I play at 1080p, but I play all my games at the rez. Hope that helps.

5. iMacN00b macrumors member

I have this game too, but haven't installed it yet. At max settings do you mean max AA too?

What FPS (from FRAPS) do you get at 1440p?

Might be interesting to put this one up on my channel. I didn't expect it to work well maxed over 1080p.

Many thanks for your answers!

To the OP, Eurogamer was very "Pro PC" for this game, so I think using the iMac is the safe bet for the best experience. :)

6. Loramarthalas macrumors member

Loramarthalas

I think I had AA set to about 4x. I'll go and check later, and do some benchmarks. At 1440p, AA doesn't make much difference to the visual quality, and it slows down the performance a lot.

But I can say that it does run extremely well. I also play it at native resolution on my 2009 Macbook Air. Of course, everything is set to low and it chugs at times, but it is fully playable.

I imagine it is because DA:O is designed to make use of multiple cores. The hyperthreading on an i7 must make a big difference in terms of graphical performance.

7. aki macrumors 6502a

One aside for those of you playing Dragon Age under bootcamp - it really pumps up the heat! If this is a concern for you use smcfancontrol.

Fantastic game.

I too play it under windows 7 on an i7 imac and performance is good on near-max settings (I forget what I set things like AA to but I run on max resolution etc).