Does Anyone Own Apple Remote Desktop 3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by John Doe 57, Jun 30, 2008.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I was just curious about this software. Do I need a server to run this? Or can I use my AirPort Extreme as my "Task Server"?

2. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

Apple Remote Desktop 3

I'm running Apple Remote Desktop 3.2 as we speak. I'm retired and I control my Macs through a WiFi connection from a MacBook Pro running 10.5.4. I have a G5 running 10.5.3 (haven't upgraded yet), a G4 running Tiger and two Yosemites (G3s) running Tiger. One of the G3s is running Tiger Server. I can control all of them from my recliner with my MBP. One of the G3s, the non Tiger Server, is on wireless but the rest are wired to my router. Couldn't live without Apple Remote Desktop and it sure does not require a server.

3. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

Vnc

There are free VNC solutions available. Vine VNC offers a free "server". I think that tightvnc has a viewer. You could remotely control your macs with a PC also, and vice-versa.

4. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Do all the Macs you are controlling require Remote Desktop or does just one Mac require it?

5. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

The actual program is installed on the Master computer. The client programs are included with Apple Remote Desktop but they really aren't needed as the client software is included with the version of OS X you are running. At least it is for Tiger and Leopard.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

every single mac since like the beginning of OSX has had built in support for remote desktop. its located in system preferences>sharing. just turn on remote management and thats it!