Does anyone play chess?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kavika411, Jul 13, 2007.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I recently got into chess and enjoy playing with people online. I use Yahoo for playing people online, but I would like something more interesting, perhaps something with a 3D gameboard. I don't mind paying a little - like a monthly fee. Does anyone know of anything out there? Thank you.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

OK, have you missed something?

FWIW I don't play chess, but I know people who do.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I am a former High School Chess Team Captain and I medaled in our regional school tournaments my senior year.

4. iGazer macrumors newbie

best game in the world to teach military strategy

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

6. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Indeed, I find it a fantastically challenging game. I haven't played it as much in the recent while though.

Im not that great at it either... :eek:... but its the kind of game that as long as you have an opponent of similar skill level, a great time can be had.:)

7. Queso macrumors G4

Not in a while. I was quite good at it when I was younger, but these days I'm nowhere near as sharp as I used to be.

(Although it could be that I'm no longer as sharp as I used to be because I no longer do things like play chess. Ho hum.....)

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Don't forget that you're also aging, dynamicv. I'm sure that plays a role.

No need to thank me for the reminder. I'm always here to help.

9. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I think you get the Nerdiest Post of the Day Award for that!

Actually, I was Captain of my old chess teams too :eek:

10. angelneo macrumors 68000

I used to play chess competitively until some unfortunate incident caused me to give up entirely. and I have always *drool* over this black/white crystal chess set that I once saw in a store.

11. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

An "unfortunate incident", you say? Did you swallow a bishop or something?

12. angelneo macrumors 68000

I hope so.. haha.

I was about 12-14 at that time, and that incident was very personal, troubling and it involved my instructor. It left a very bitter taste in me to a point I avoided chess for the rest of my school years.

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I learned the rules of Chess when I was a kid, but I never had anyone to play with -- my friends were interested in other kinds of games (D&D, or video games). So I've never really learned how to play the game, in terms of having any kind of strategy at all.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I like chess, especially end-game strategy. I've attended the computer chess championships, but I prefer playing against a human to playing against a machine.

One year, my best friend and I decided to play the first chess game of the year. We set up the board on New Year's Eve and watched the clock. At the stroke of midnight we started to play. I had the proud distinction of having lost the first chess game that year! :cool:

15. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Oh, chess sits in my dock, and I play it every so often (with my voice!!!). I joined a chess club once... then quit. Chess is nice, I can beat a lot of people (who play about as much as I do).

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

17. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I used to when I had the game for my Nintendo but I always got mad because the game system always beat me.