Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
I'm trying to decide between the MX-25's, MX-900's, and the MP-60's. I'm coming from Hogan Apex Plus. I shoot in the 80's and I need to start shooting in the 70's with a Handicap of at least 8. Is there some place on the internet that compares these irons?

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Hi

I have never played Mizuno irons although I am considering them when I next change. At the moment you are playing a great set of clubs. I really like Hogan irons and again they are some that I am looking at.

If you are shooting in the 80's and want to get into the 70's the best thing fo ryou to spend your money on is lessons. The Apex irons are very good. I know one guy who plays them and is on the European Tour so they can't be too shabby. Both the MX sets and for higher handicappers (people who shoot 85 - 100). The MP-60s look a nice set but are very similar to your Hogans. maybe look at the MP-67s if you are a pure ball striker.

I still play with the Taylor Made Burner Tour irons from 1998 and they have helped me get down to a handicap of 3 and before I broke my leg in October I was regularly shooting sub-par.

Unless you have a really important reason for changing I would get down to my local pro and have a few lessons in a block to work on your swing in a structured manor, rather than one lesson every 6 months which is no real use.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Never tried Mizuno's before, but I'm going to need new irons this year.

Check tgw for prices. Never used them before, but they seem to be really cheap. :)

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I play the MP-60s and love them. They are perfect for your handicap. They are players irons, but still very hitable.

I would take them all out and see which you hit best. I was trying to decide between the CG2s and the MP-60s. I was mentally leaning toward the CG2, but when I went to the range, I walked off knowing the MP-60 was my choice...

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
I play the MP-60s and love them. They are perfect for your handicap. They are players irons, but still very hitable.

I would take them all out and see which you hit best. I was trying to decide between the CG2s and the MP-60s. I was mentally leaning toward the CG2, but when I went to the range, I walked off knowing the MP-60 was my choice...

very nice, that is what i'm leaning towards. Have you hit any of the other MP series, specifically teh MP-67's? Also, have you tried the MX-500 driver?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
The Apex irons are very good. I know one guy who plays them and is on the European Tour so they can't be too shabby.

you're referring to the apex, not the apex plus. the plus irons are oversized and meant to be a game-improvement club. as for the op, i've not tried any of those models, but i have used mp33s and would suggest you hit any irons you buy and buy what you like. i hit old (2001) cleveland ta-1 blades, and i love them because they feel great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.