Does anyone prefer the old non-LED screens?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, May 11, 2009.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I have a 17" SR MBP and I have to say, side by side, I prefer the lighting of it over my LED uMBP.

The LEDs seem colder somehow. It's almost like comparing flourescent lighting to halogen.

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes I used to like my old cathode ray tube "lunchbox" portable but it was heavy and was sub-vga.

I dug the green glow

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Haha that's what I was thinking when I read the title.

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

groove-agent, I believe you might wanna change the title of your thread to mention "non-LED" screens. Portable computers haven't used CRTs since the mid-1980s :p

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL ... I shouldn't post late at night after i've gone jogging. Yes, it's supposed to read "non-LED" screens.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In that case, it all looks the same to me; I still think this LED stuff is a gimmick.

8. 173080 macrumors 6502

When properly calibrated the LED screens look much better, especially the matte LED screens. They can produce better whites.

The colour profile out of the box isn't good at all. Sometimes they'll have a yellow/pink tint to them, sometimes a cold blueish hue.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...its all just about keeping profit margins high with the "new tech" released...

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Pretty much

11. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought LED had lower power consumption. No?

12. Riverbird macrumors member

I can't stand LCD screens anymore. They look too dark and glare more than my glossy glass LED on my 15 inch Macbook Pro. I know their is none glare LCD screens out there, but this is the most beautiful screen I have ever seen!

It's so clear and beautiful. I thought about getting a Sony Viao 16 inch but said no when I saw how bad the screen looked compared to the Apple. I think the screen is worth the extra Apple tax! ^^

13. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

errr, you know your macbook's glossy LED screen is still an LCD yeah? It's just an LCD with an LED backlight.....

While I do love the screen on my new MBP, I can't wait for OLED screens to mature. That's going to make a much bigger difference than just LED backlighting. Lower Power consumption, even thinner displays, much better colours and blacks.... ideal!

14. Riverbird macrumors member

I guess not. But even so, its of much higher quality then the screens in Sony's computers and even the past HP notebooks I have owned so I am extremely happy with it ^^

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not really cared one way or the other if my LCD was backlit with LED or CCFL. I've heard all of the advantages, and such but to me, both worked as needed. Its like do you prefer using 40nm chips or 90nm chips. I don't really care one way or the other as long as it works as I need it too :)

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Its just a bad color profile. All you need is calibrate it.

It has nothing to do with the type of backlighting technology your screen uses.

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

display on my 2.33 matte MBP > display on my 15" unibody MBP

18. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I would have to agree, due in part to the fact that my old 2.33GHz MBP had a matte display.