Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdjackosn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Hi mac people,

Can anyone shed light on this, and what might be the cause of it. It's a pic of what's displayed on screen from an Intel mini after start up and after the apple logo appears. The display is connected via the VGA connector.

It's not my machine so I'm a middle man in this but any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• mac display.JPG
    mac display.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 143

bdjackosn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. If it turns out to be the video card is it easy/expensive to fix? Could the machine be used 'headless' as a media server as it is (providing it is just the video card)? Would I be crazy to buy this without diagnosis at a pretty decent low price?

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
If its not a failure, it's an interface failure. There must be pin missing, bent or loose in the connector. You wouldn't really get anything if the video card failed.

Check the DVI Adapter at both ends.

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Secondly the Mac Mini has integrated Video, so that's a long shot.

I'm willing to bet dollars to pesos that it is the DVI to VGA adapter!

freewardeluxe

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
FAULTY VGA connector/port hands off idea.
Try to clean, reconnect your VGA adapter/port. may be replace it. :)

I hope this help

bdjackosn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
If the internal VGA port is broken is it possible to swap it out?

Thanks so much for your responses In light of them I think I'm going to take a punt on this machine, I can pick it up really cheaply and if I can't fix the display perhaps I can still use it 'headless' or sell it for parts. Obviously taking full responsibility for my own actions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.