Does anyone remember the MLC/TLC memory recall from 2014?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Aug 30, 2016.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I remember there was a recall of iPhone 6 pluses/126GB with specific serial numbers because they had faulty MLC or TLC memory.

Does anyone remember the link that let you enter your serial number to find out if it's one of them that qualifies for a replacement ?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I remember exactly what you're talking about; there was certainly a bit of a fuss about it on MacRumors. However I'm 99% certain there wasn't a recall and I don't think Apple admitted an issue.

The problem started following a rumour about faulty Flash causing issues such as boot looping in high-capacity models. The boot looping was true, but the cause wasn't. If memory serves, the correlation to a hardware failure was proven false, and the boot looping issue was resolved in a later software update.

I'm happy to be corrected, though; my memory's not what it used to be. Or is it? :D

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

I recall it to be more or less along those lines as well.

4. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Yeah I just realized it wasn't a recall BUT heard that if you go to a store they would replace your iPhone 6 Plus 128GB (if) it had a matching serial number that matched any of the phones with the faulty memory.

I even entered in my phone serial number which told me if it was eligible or not. I clearly remember this.

But I cannot find this link anymore.

Also I called AppleCare and they don't have a program for this issue but I was told that many times the stores have programs that the AppleCare guys on the phone don't have access to and that it might be best to go to a store.

But I know this was a legit issue with a replacement program. So I just want to find that link again.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

There have been and potentially still are things like that for battery replacements and camera related issue replacements and various others, but I'm not sure I recall there being one for this (being essentially something that wasn't even really truly identified/recognized as an actual linked issue).

6. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

see my edit.