Does anyone run VM Fusion on a i7 system?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maf2k8, Jul 22, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I am testing the grounds for how i want to install Windows 7 on my Mac ( either my MBP or my iMac )

I was going to go with bootcamp because it seemed the fastest and smoothest as far as performance...

Someone recommended VM Fusion, So i decided to load it on my C2D Macbook Pro 2.53GHz with 4gb of ram.....It seems to work ok, a little sluggish but "ok"

Now, I was wondering how much of a performance improvement if i installed it on my 27" i7 iMac with 8gb of ram?

I run dual displays and i could have VM on one monitor and OSX on the other....

Would performance still be sluggish ya think?

Just curious if anyone else runs VM on a i7 Mac and how the performance is..

2. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

No Virtual OS is going to run as fast as it would on a system natively, like bootcamp. However I ran Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit (no need for 64 bit in a VM that will have only 1 or 2 GB of memory) in Fusion on the same iMac you have and it was very good. I set the VM to use 2 cores and 2GB of RAM. It wasn't sluggish at all. I wasn't gaming or doing video editing though. I was using the Windows version of Office and CorelDRAW. Both ran quickly and felt snappy.