Does Anyone See A Problem Here?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iDAG, Jun 17, 2009.

1. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I have a first generation iPod touch with the new iPhone OS 3.0 software. Now tell me if you see a problem here.

IMG_0004.PNG IMG_0005.PNG

NO VOLUME CONTROLS

This isn't just in the music player. It is in every application! :confused: Please help me if you can. :)

2. Padraic macrumors regular

I'm not sure if you have it plugged into a dock or not (the 'Dock Connector' string just above the play button?), but I read somewhere that the volume slider disappears if you don't have headphones connected.

Does the slider appear when you have headphones plugged in?

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

On a 1st gen touch it can tell if no headphones are connected, and since there is no internal speaker you won't get a volume slider. Plug in headphones and the slider will appear.

You could previously control volume from the Touch when docked to a speaker dock, but now it's all up to the device you're docked to.

4. andyffer macrumors member

So now do you think that it will now charge too?
    When I plug in my first gen it plays fine with the dock and the volume controls work but it wont charge. :mad:

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yeh it means your earphones are not plugged in, god knows why it says dock connector when theres nothing plugged in

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

"dock connector" is simply the only choice left on a first gen when no headphones are plugged in. It simply means audio is routed to the dock, whether anything is there to use it.

It makes me wonder if you'll get the options to select between dock and headphones if both have something plugged in. I have a bluetooth adapter for mine, but it blocks the headphone jack.

7. iDAG thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

I just found this out when I just plugged my earphones in last night. It is very interesting that Apple has done this.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

i don't get why it says dock connector when no earphones are plugged in

9. iDAG thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

It might be because it has no built in speaker so it defaults to the dock connector.

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

It apparently has nothing to do with internal speakers. I have a 2G Touch, and when I have the FM transmitter plugged in, the volume control - which was there last week - is now gone. And no, the side controls don't work, either. Now I HAVE to use just the stereo's volume controls. It's not a big deal, but I kind of liked the ability to control the volume from the Touch.

11. iDAG thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

The reason it did that was because you plugged in the FM transmitter. My brother has a second generation iPod touch and when nothing is connected (unlike my first generation) the volume control remains.

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It looks like the dock connector is acting just like a line-out now. It assumes whatever you've got plugged in will take care of volume control. So far that's true for any of my dock devices. Since Apple is now encouraging developers to work on docking devices as well as apps, they pretty much had to standardize the output to the docking connector.

13. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Yeah, yeah, except it didn't do that before 3.0 - the volume control remained with the transmitter plugged in.
    4DThinker is on the right track.