Does anyone ski/ snowboard?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carjakester, Mar 3, 2014.

1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I just got out yesterday for the first time in 2 years. Today my legs are really feeling it, so much fun though. Also went with my girlfriend which was her first time, her 4th time going down she was able to go all the way down which i thought was impressive.

Ive been to granote peak in wausau, steamboat in colorado, as well as park city, canyons and snowbird in salt lake city. Does anyone else ski or snowboard? Where have you gone? Any good stories?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I snowboard and really enjoy it. Been to many places here in Colorado.

3. MarkG21 macrumors regular

I've been skiing for about 20 years in Lake Tahoe. It's one of my favorite activity to do. This year has been a major let down though do to the drought in California. We did not get any significant snow until last month. As such, my first time out this season was last week.

4. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Fingers crossed this is the year I finally get to try it. Wanted to do it as a kid, unfortunately in England we only get rain and most people can't comprehend the idea of going somewhere cold for a holiday :p

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I used to ski back in the day, as they say but I grew tired of the long lines, the cost and the crowds. I spent more time waiting and riding up the mountain then actual skiing. Perhaps if I started the sport earlier in life or kept up with it, I'd be more in love with it, and more proficient to the point where I could do the longer more complex tails but I hadn't

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Took up snowboarding during my short time living in Denver about 10 years ago to pass the winter weekends while my wife was doing her fellowship and fell in love with it. Sadly, we only lived there for 3 years and moved back to Tampa. As my wife hates winter weather and avoids it whenever possible, I haven't been back, going on 8 years now. :(

7. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

which is the closest to you? what is your favorite?

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

9. 808? macrumors 6502a

Ski.

Japan + France or Austria or Italy most seasons.

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Ski (I'm actually part of our local Ski Patrol and am nationally certified).

I mostly ski our local mountain, an hour away and about 1000ft vertical climb (it's a pretty easy hill).
    Skied Park City, Big Sky, Tamarack, Soldier, Schweitzer, Brundage (I think), Crested Butte, and Sun Valley (once). Not as much as I should have for pretty much being in the heart of ski country. Sun Valley is less than three hours away! :D
    It's funny though, at the local place the black diamonds are about where the blues are any other ski area. So going to Big Sky and doing double blacks with avalanche warnings was a blast (and killer on the legs). So much fun!

Well, and for a story, it's not much but this last saturday I was up, and we had just gotten 6 inches of new snow and it was coming down pretty good. Visibility was pretty close to zero, it was very flat light. Of course the snow snakes were out and I must have caught an edge. Totally flipped over and literally slid on my face a couple feet in the powder. Didn't hurt, but it was an ego bruiser doing it in an official Patroller vest. Thank goodness it was only in front of a few friends and not the whole mountain :D

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I love it. Going to the snow is my absolute most favourite thing in the whole world.

I'm capable but not fantastic, will make it down pretty much anything but it might not be pretty or without swearing. Have been skiing since I was but a little fella but yearly since 1995.

12. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

It is very embarrassing to fall especially right by the lift. There is just an endless line of people rolling past to laugh at you.

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I went snow skiing every year from when I was three until I was sixteen years old: Mostly we'd go to Taos, NM or Steamboat, CO: Been to Hevanly, Lake Tahoe once or twice. Loved it to death, was fairly good at it too. Haven't had the time or finances to go in quite a while though. :(