Does Anyone Still Sell The Orginal iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmstrong, May 4, 2011.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502

I'm curious enough to try to find one. It might make a good simple starter phone.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

If you want a simple starter phone you might want to just look at the 3GS, $50 on contract price and used ones are somewhere around $300.

4. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

I agree if you are simply looking for a good starter phone the 3GS is awesome. My mom, sister, and girlfriend use the 3G (same processor as 2G) and they complained theirs was slow after playing with the 3GS.

Reason we all have older phones just signed up with AT&T and I wanted to maintain upgrade eligibility for the iPhone 5.

Also only reason to get a 2G (besides the look) cheaper unlimited data if you do it right.

5. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? How so? I might be interested, myself, in coming back to AT&T for unlimited data, let alone grabbing a starter for my brother. Care to share?

6. GP_1 macrumors regular

I highly recommend getting the 3GS instead of the original iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. kingtj macrumors 68020

Yeah....

IMO, you don't want an original iPhone anymore, period. I owned 2 of them and had several friends who owned them too - and we all eventually upgraded not because we wanted the new features of the 3G iPhone so badly, but because our original iPhones all developed hardware problems or failures. The flash memory started going bad on one of mine, and the screen developed big dark patches on the other. My friend had problems with the flash memory wearing out on his too.

I think by now, most of the originals have developed problems, even after a round of refurbishing - so you just don't see a lot of them anymore.

8. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I recently bought one from $88 on eBay
    Original box and everything, but i bought just to have it :rolleyes:

...I'm terrible with money

9. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Short version get a new sim throw it into the iPhone 2G plug it into itunes. It will give you the option for the $20 unlimited 2G data. If you talk to AT&T about this they will deny it's existence. I believe there is a specific ios you need to install onto the 2G before you put the sim in. There are threads on the topic.

10. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

Very cool. I just need a new SIM and an original iPhone then. I assume I can purchase a SIM at me local AT&T store?

11. daphaze1 macrumors newbie

No you guys are wrong. You need to find an old sim card. The new sim cards issued will no longer work on the "New ATT". ATT changed my sim card, in which I was hoping would improve my signal and disabled my Iphone. (All the stores have been asked to change out all their sim cards) I asked the store if they were sure I would not have any problems and they told me yes, because I was talking on the phone with ATT care regarding my Ipad. The store then found out it locked my phone and locked me out of Itunes. So I no longer had access to my Phone either. After they could not get my phone to work, they said it was my fault for having an old phone and to renew my contact and get a new phone.

To get me back on the ATT network, after talking to customer care, they wanted to get me a $20 Go Phone. After nearly half a week on the telephone for 24 hours a day, they said they would credit me some money to get an HTC. They said they could not get me another Iphone and that they could not get my old iphone to work. Later on I purchased a blackberry but could not stand it.

But once your sim is deactivated your phone will never work again. It will be locked as well if you put a new sim card.

12. macntosh macrumors newbie

Sorry, but this is completely wrong. I just got my wife a new Sim card a week ago, called in and canceled her tiered plan. Then activated her "new" 2G with a new Sim. Got the plan started and put the sim back in her 3GS. Unlimited and no problems.

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually, I've found a lot of iPhone EDGE, 3G, and 3GS on Propertyroom.com.

TEG

14. nwbusa macrumors regular

Hmmm...

Not been my experience. The original iPhones were (are) a tank, hardware wise. I used one for three years without a case and it still looks/performs like new. In fact, it's still in active use after nearly 4 years. All that being said... agreed that an iPhone 2G is not a great choice for a modern smartphone. It's just too slow for most things, imo.

15. svenn macrumors 6502

This is my experience too. Physically, it's just about bulletproof, but it's sloooowww assmolasses.