Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shymcfly

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
My father inlaw recently gave me an old minolta x-700 film slr. I have only used dslrs, but I thought I'd try my hand at it. Just trying to get any tips or pointers from anyone that uses one may have. Also there are a few lenes: a vivitar 85-205 mm 1:3.8 auto zoom 58mm; a sigma high-speed zoom multi-coated 1:3.5~4 F=80~200 mm; a minolta kit lens md 50 mm 1:2; a vivitar 35mm 1:2.8auto wide angle 52 mm; a soligor auto tele converter 2x; and a cable release. It's just that, to be honest, it's a little foreign to me. As well as I know my way around a dslr I thought it would be a piece of cake, but to my surprise I find myself at a loss often.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
It's what I grew up with, and I have my dad's copy of it here with me :). Going to get the light seals replaced and get it back to working order.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
My father inlaw recently gave me an old minolta x-700 film slr. I have only used dslrs, but I thought I'd try my hand at it. Just trying to get any tips or pointers from anyone that uses one may have. Also there are a few lenes: a vivitar 85-205 mm 1:3.8 auto zoom 58mm; a sigma high-speed zoom multi-coated 1:3.5~4 F=80~200 mm; a minolta kit lens md 50 mm 1:2; a vivitar 35mm 1:2.8auto wide angle 52 mm; a soligor auto tele converter 2x; and a cable release. It's just that, to be honest, it's a little foreign to me. As well as I know my way around a dslr I thought it would be a piece of cake, but to my surprise I find myself at a loss often.

What do you seem to be having trouble with?

If you only use your DSLR in full auto mode, you'll have to be a little more involved with the Minolta. At the very least, you have to focus & advance the film! The 700 has a "P", or "Program" mode where the camera sets everything for you, except the film ISO (you set that with the dial under the rewind knob). Then there is "A" mode, or Aperture Priority mode. You set the lens aperture with the aperture ring on the lens (usually the closest ring to the camera body), and the camera sets the shutter speed. Then there is fully manual mode, where you set the aperture as above, and the shutter speed with the shutter speed dial.

Of course, if you've never used a film camera, you have to learn to load it, and then unload it at the end of the roll. These cameras don't rewind the film for you, so you have to do that, too.

You can find more info about it at the Rokkor Files.

Good luck with it. That's a good camera, and some good glass, too!

:apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.