does anyone think apple will lock out jailbroken iphones with the new 2.0 software

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegan TJ, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

and have they dont this before? just curious i currently have a jailbroken iphone and im going to be selling it to my grandparents when the new iphone comes out..im just wondering if they will not allow an update with a jailbroken iphone

2. angel1286 macrumors member

you could always update jailbroken phones...the new firmware just replaces the old and the phone goes back to a "jailed" state.

3. LoganT macrumors 68020

I can guarantee they will lock them out. You could just restore the phone and then your grandparents will be able to upgrade. I really don't see a point for a jailbroken iPhone with the app store coming out.

4. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Generally in the past with firmware/software updates, if you've jailbroken your phone, the update patches it and restores it back to a "jailed" state..

Then the hackers feverishly worked on other jailbreaking techniques for the new firmware/software.

So, if that still holds true to form, you'd be able to upgrade to software 2.0, the IPhone will just be jailed after the process..

5. Vegan TJ thread starter macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

so i should just restore with itunes then get the new software

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah that sounds like the best plan...but I haven't hacked my iPhone. It seems pretty certain based on past firmware releases that 2.0 will need to be rehacked (which i'm sure will happen sooner than later).