Does anyone think iPhone 2.0 software = delay on 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powerbook911, Mar 6, 2008.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My thoughts are that since iPhone 2.0 software comes out in June that is going to spur a lot of purchases. It will be better for businesses, and it will have a buzz about it again. Some amazing applications should be available.

Anyone think Apple will use the 2.0 software to fill a gap before a 3G debuts much later in the year?

2. werkedm3 macrumors member

I would almost guess they are releasing them at the same time. Those who don't have iphone's may now be inclined because more apps are available.

3. parham55 macrumors member

I think we'll see both in June. Like the above post said this creates new buzz. Some people might now say 'hey cool stuff will be out on the iphone i'll go ahead and get one.' That helps sell off inventory ahead of the 3G release. With all these new apps we will see higher data traffic and 3G would be a big help with all that data traffic.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I still think as Steve Jobs said, the 3G iPhone won't be released until late 2008. He mentioned this when the iPhone was announced in the UK.

5. Edwardz macrumors regular

The first thing that came to my mind about the 2.0 release would be exactly that: a 2.0 release software & hardware wise. I believe that at WWDC we will see the 2.0 release in June for SDK and an update on the hardware of the iPhone as well.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Ain't delayed until you've made a time frame. It looks seriously like June. The kit will be ready, firmware update, hardware update through the 3G iPhone.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple has never said that it would provide a 3G iPhone in existing markets. Perhaps the 3G iPhone will for a while only be available in areas like Japan where it is an expectation.

8. AMoeini macrumors member

AMoeini

Yeah, I think Apple should/will ship the pre-loaded 2.0 phones with 3G(and other improvements.) The release shouldn't delay the iPhone..I hope it doesn't!

9. werkedm3 macrumors member

I doubt they will miss the June mark for 2.0, apple knows it has already pissed off quite a few customers, and now they have told us that 2.0 is arriving in june. Although who wants to guess it comes out June 30? ;)

10. avalys macrumors 6502

I wonder how Apple will handle the announcement of the 3G iPhone - it will kill sales of the current iPhone, but they will have to announce it before it is available, since the FCC certification process is public...

11. island macrumors 6502

island

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yes, yes, we keep hearing that from "experts" on here. However, Citigroup predicts a 2Q launch. Call me crazy, but I'm listening to Citigroup.

13. parham55 macrumors member

Keep in mind the end of June is the end of 2Q.

14. pavvento macrumors 6502

I'm just going out on a limb here but I would think it would make more sense for them to wait until, say, September. You create a lot of buzz in June with the SDK and with new apps and you ride that wave as long as you can. Once it dies down you announce a 3G iPhone and ride that wave right through the holidays. Realistically there are 4 'tricks' that Apple can still have up its sleeve for the iPhone.

1) SDK-announced
    2)storage increase- done (could still be updated)
    3)3G
    4)GPS

I think we will see 3 and 4 together, so why let all 4 tricks out before the year is halfway over, and then have 'nothing new' to announce/add for the rest of the year?

Just my .02

15. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

hmmm, will we defiantly have have FCC first? as it could be an update rather than a new device? (we didnt see FCC for the 16gb)

16. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

17. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

SDK 2.0 release in June as stated...this is 4 months from now which will allow current purchase of 8 gig and 16 gig because new users will want to take full advangtage of the new SDK. This uses up the majority of current products/stock.

The SDK will be released and within 30 days after the release of the SDK (give or take a few weeks), iPhone 2 will be announced. It will go on sale in late Oct (4 months from announcement) just in time for the holiday shopping season.

The trend has been something major every 4-5 months since its release.

This is only my prediction...no facts other then what I stated.

18. parham55 macrumors member

19. drb6 macrumors regular

Yes yes, but Citigroup doesn't say: 'iPhone then FCC' or anything else. FCC will have to come before the release regardless of when it happens. This of course would be if the hardware of the iPhone (with the addition of 3g) changes. If its just software and or capacity, I believe they don't have to go through the process again......?

20. drb6 macrumors regular

Why? Its a bigger screen, the iPhone is all screen anyway.

But this seems unlikely to be true. What endgadget said makes a lot of sense..about it being a general apple device icon. Although why wouldn't they just use the touch or the iPhone, no need to morph it to make it look like an in between the current model and a non existent one. Then again, its not like these pages don't go through enormous scrutiny, its not exactly a few words in source code.

:confused: My head is spinning.

Edit: just reread carefully to see its some random developer page. I'll chalk it down to a bad mockup :D

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

When June comes and there is no 3G iPhone released, we will here people blaming Apple for being late on this phone when it was "promised" and all it was, was a stupid rumor.

22. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I just hope that when 2.0 comes out the hackers can find a way to unlock it. I want to put apps on my iPhone.

23. parham55 macrumors member

In my opinion it's ugly, that's why. even if it has a 30 inch screen and looks bad I wouldn't buy it. Basically, form is a big deal to me.

24. island macrumors 6502

island

3G = New communications hardware means new FCC approval. Just upgrading capacity or looks will not require new approval but if you change the wireless chip or cellular chip you will.

25. drb6 macrumors regular

Naturally...are you new?

:p

Seriously though, Apple didn't promise anything so none of us can complain if it doesn't release in June. But that doesn't stop a lot of people here, unfortunately.