Does anyone think that Apple will update the iOS remote app for the ATV4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ajiuo, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

This app has needed to be updated for a long time. You should be able to brows all Apple TV content from the phone without even having to look at the TV...

So basically the remote app would have all of the Apple TV apps displayed on your iOS device. You could brows content and select stuff to play... It would all be directly interactive. Instead of holding a remote and looking at your tv, you would just look at your iOS device and control what's on the TV that way... Much simpler.

I was actually a bit shocked that apple didn't show off a new remote app when they revealed the new Apple TV... That would be the most amazing way to control it. They could even add options to control other devices.

Handoff would also be cool...

Maybe they're saving all the stuff for iOS 10 / TV Os2

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I think it would be cool if they make it so you could plug headphones into the remote app and listen to audio from your Apple TV.

3. recoil80 macrumors 68000

That would be a cool feature since I don't have bluetooth headphones.
    I'd also like to be able to use my iPhone or iPad to enter text into the search field. Siri is not available in my country and I don't want to mess up with the on screen keyboard of ATV

4. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I am pretty sure the current version of the Remote app already lets you use the keyboard on your device to enter text on the ATV.

5. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Yes but the Siri search field is new, if you don't have Siri you press the button and you have to enter text, I hope I'll be able to do it with the remote app

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

They'd better come up with something quick if the current remote app isn't compatible. I have zero interest in entering my info for a half dozen apps by scrolling one letter at a time with the remote. The reviews are saying it's painful.

7. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I'd be more than shocked if they didn't make it compatible.

8. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

I have a feeling the Remote App will stay largely the same. In fact, I'd be surprised if it gets updated at all – I think it will just work as-is.

My reasoning is that there is an identical app on the Apple Watch that can't easily be updated. I doubt there will be a WatchOS update just for that, so I'd imagine the app is ready to go already...

Just a guess, of course.

9. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

They have a lot of ways of making this app really really good for the new AppleTv. Id hope it gets updated

10. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

11. s2mike macrumors 6502

The Remote app doesn't even work with Apple Music. It's so outdated and frustrating.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Seeing as it currently isn't work afaik with the developer Apple TVs - guess they may do an update tomorrow.

13. AgentElliot007 macrumors 6502

Oh, they better make it compatible. It may not be much, but it's a sanity saver when logging into apps.

14. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Forget the old remote app, completely redesign it and call it Apple TV app and be able to see the actual Apple TV UI right on an iPad.

I have this awesome screen right in front of me that is perfect to navigate on, talk to Siri etc. Even Comcast app I can look at the guide and on demand right on my iPad.

Just using the iPhone or iPad as a giant scroll pad and keyboard....Could be so much better.