Does anyone use a 2012 MBA with 64GB SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tinkori, Jul 27, 2012.

1. tinkori macrumors member

Bought a MBP for basic eclipse based java and xcode based ios development (all other work gets done on an Ubuntu server). Wont store photos/music.

Is the 64GB SSD enough (how much does ML and the recovery partition need)?

2. carlos00 macrumors newbie

64GB should be enough if you manage storage properly, you most probably will need external storage for media. Fresh install of ML takes up ~ 13GB

3. tinkori thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ... Am planning to run
    * Base ML - 13GB
    * Eclipse
    * Xcode
    * Have 3GB of dropbox mirrored
    * MS office

Do you have an idea how much space it would take? My gut says less than 25GB. In that case 64GB is ok for me. But I am not sure if I will be ok with 4GB but thats another thread :)

4. Gustavo Carvalh macrumors newbie

I have a 64gb air. I had a macbook pro with a 64gb ssd for almost 2 years and can't remember having less than 20gb available at any point in time. I don't have music or films in it. I keep only essential files. Everything else goes in the bin.

Gustavos-MacBook-Air:~ gustavo$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s2 56Gi 20Gi 35Gi 37% 5398097 9203135 37% /

2012 macbook air with all my stuff on it (mainly text files). It has pages, keynote, and office 2011 installed.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Anyone who is satisfied with a 64GB SSD, gets my compliments for their superior skills at organization & file management. :D

6. tinkori thread starter macrumors member

Gustavo, thanks for your reply with facts. Could I please request you to run activity monitor on your 2012 air and let us know the free memory when you load up safari and office 2011.

On a diff note, I have had both linux and macs with 32GB SSD and I had all my music on an external drive (days when SSD were way mor eexpensive) but Snow leopard seemed to consume much less memory than Lion (havent tried ML)

7. Gustavo Carvalh macrumors newbie

http://i.imgur.com/SbzEk.jpg

8. stchman macrumors 6502a

The only MBA with a 64GB SSD is the base 11" model.

9. Uguubot macrumors member

Uguubot

I am planning on getting an 11 incher, with 64GB and 8GB of RAM. It will be a pain in the butt to have to put my sizable media collection (My music is over 64 GB!) on an external hard drive, but I am planning to use the money I save on a $100 bigger external HDD than before.

10. tinkori thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much .... memory utilization is quite high! Safari takes so much memory on mountain lion. Whoa! Time to switch to chrome

11. mikkker007 macrumors member

I remember my first ever PC....... Pentium 2/ 16mb ram/2gb HDD/etc etc........
    cost me over $2000...... (Au)........ Connect to the internet Over a 56k modem........... haha....I thought I was the ****.....

switched to Mac 10 yrs ago......... Hooked ever since.

anyway........ I bought base model 11" MBA.......... running ML...... 21GB spare.....got everything I could ever need/want installed............. Have a 1TB ext HDD......... Movies/music.....

Open Finder, choose 10 movies I may wanna watch..... chuck 'em into iTunes.... 10 min later....... ATV2 fired up......... having a time....

This things shuts down in 3 seconds flat! boot, from power on to desktop in under 11 sec!........Airplay to 50" Plasma...... come on?!! seriously?.....this is THE ****...!!!! thnx Apple..... SJ's? thanx for your vision.................:apple::apple:

----------

P.S there is a fantastic app in Mac store "memory cleaner" regardless of how many Tabs I have open in Safari (6.0 LOVES Ram!!) i can always free up nearly a 1GB........ check it out..........:apple: