Does anyone use a portable battery back up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Chewbacca, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I was looking for something I can either recharge or put batteries in that can act as an emergency power supply. I found dozens for the iPhone but am having trouble finding one that can plug into a laptop (17" MBP)

The only ones I found are huge and a couple hundred dollars. I'm just looking for something small that I can keep in my bag incase I need an extra hour or two.

I was looking for something like the below Amazon link but unless I'm mistaken I would need at least an 85 watt charger? Am I correct?

Anyone use something like that? Any ideas?

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...8YXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294168197&sr=8-1

2. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

3. Resist macrumors 68030

Well yea they're big and expensive, you want to charge a 17" Macbook Pro, not an iPhone. A device with a much bigger battery requires a much bigger battery to charge with.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

not only are they big and expensive ... they also weigh a ton :cool:

(I have one just in case a power failure and I need it to charge a phone or radio)

5. Mr. Chewbacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

That sucks, sounds like it would be more hassle to carry it around than it would be worth.

It would be cool if someone came up with a small plug in, maybe something that holds a D-cell disposable battery, I doubt it would last long but I would think a D would last at least 45-60 min?

Lot of them for the iPhone with AA batteries.

Thanks for the reply! :)

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

An 8-9 hour battery built-in isn't enough, you're looking for a device to add another hour if you need it? :confused:

Seriously, you can't get to a power outlet in 9 hours?