does anyone use a touch instead of a phone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by brendu, Jun 8, 2010.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

does anyone here use their ipod touch instead of a phone. is it possible to use it for texting and skype with a mic/headphone kit? i know apple does not want us doing this but is it possible... jail breaking is an option...

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

you can send a special email and it will go through as a text, but you woldnt be able to recieve texts, a simpler way would be to use google voice, and skype would work well for calls the iOS4 will allow you to recieve calls anytime you are not in the app aswell.

I think the ipod touch is a perfect companion to a phone, specifically it can be very well with a android with wifi tethering you have the best of both devices and both app stores

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I sometimes use skype on my 3rd gen touch to make phone calls (using the earbud / mic that came with the Touch). The call quality seems pretty good but it's dependent on your Internet connection.

Other people also have Verizon MIFI so the can make 3G calls on their Touch. MIFI will cost you about $60.00 a month.

4. Eggman32 macrumors newbie

I do. I use textnow and gizmo apps with my google voice account and it's just like a phone if you have wifi. Unlimited calls and texts

5. ascendedoshen macrumors member