Does anyone use a trackpad protector or screen protector?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by modernart, Jul 21, 2009.

1. modernart macrumors member

I've done some research and there seems to be some good benefits from using both, but is it a bit excessive? I'm very interested in the moshi screen protector from the apple store. just to prevent scratches and such.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I think it is unnecessary. I don't want anything changing the trackpad texture anyway, and I doubt it will scratch.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're careful with your machine, screen protectors and trackpad protectors aren't necessary. Especially trackpad protectors- what exactly are these things protecting from?

4. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

The trackpad turns yellow. I have a full body skin on all my Macs and I'm glad I did because after a year of use, the skin started turning yellow at the palm rests and trackpad. I even clean it every other day. My friend with the uMB (no palm rest/trackpad protector) has his turning yellow after 6 months of ownership. So to answer the previous questions, the protectors are protecting from yellowing ;)

5. Nerdowl macrumors member

My Macbook (September 2006) has no yellowing on the trackpad that I can see...

I think about the only thing I ever bothered putting a screen protector on was my Palm75 (I think that's the number of it anyway :confused: ).

Wouldn't putting an extra layer of plastic over the touchpad change the responsiveness slightly? I like doing the tap click rather than using the button.

As to my screen... no scratches on that that I can see. Why would it you're hardly going to prod it, unlike an iPod touch...

Things like iPods I understand a bit more as to why people would want screen protectors... but on trackpads? Perosnally I wouldn't bother. Though, I'm with jmann on not wanting to change the texture of the trackpad.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That yellowing is from the skin. If you didn't have the skin, you wouldn't have the yellowing.

I had a 17" MBP that I used an Invisible Shield on, and I had to replace it every six months or so because it started to look gross. I decided to just save myself the trouble and stop using it.

To the OP, even when using a full skin I never used the trackpad portion. I did not like how it affected the functionality and feel.

My $.02

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

How do you explain the yellowing for those without the skin? Ever since the white Macbooks til the aluminum Macbooks even? Definitely not the skin.

8. modernart thread starter macrumors member

seems like everyone is 50/50 on it. i still don't know what to do. = (

doesn't the trackpad turn yellow from contact with the finger? like, from natural human oils, skin cells, etc.:confused: