Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sluchbox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2021
I see people often talking about using an iPad to watch movies or shows, and it doesn’t seem like they are only talking about doing it while on the go.

Do you watch movies and shows on your iPad at home? If so, why do you prefer to do it that way then using a television.

Does anyone use an iPad only and not have a television?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I use my 2021 12.9 for watching movies and shows at home, not all the time but quite a bit. I use it in a location away from where the TV and just find it convenient at times for watching streaming video form broadcast or ripped from DVD on my NAS. Nice screen size and a beautiful picture. I use Bluetooth headphones or earbuds with it.

Sluchbox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2021
Thanks for the replies.

I never really thought of it before, but earlier today I was on the couch holding up my iPad at the normal tablet distance and I realized that it is equal to a 100+ inch television at the average television distance.

So it hit me that people might not be using tablets to view video out of necessity, but out of benefit.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks for the replies.

I never really thought of it before, but earlier today I was on the couch holding up my iPad at the normal tablet distance and I realized that it is equal to a 100+ inch television at the average television distance.

So it hit me that people might not be using tablets to view video out of necessity, but out of benefit.

I have a 55" 4K TV and still find the image quality on the 2021 12.9 to be outstanding for streaming.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
When I’m watching stuff alone or there is no proper TV around, a tablet will often do. However I’m often watching with the family and a tv is much preferred for that. Not even going to the topic of aspect ratio.

Global_traveler

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2020
Now & then I use screen mirroring to watch an iPad video on my flat screen. I pair my wireless earphones with the tv and get a great audio experience as well. Sometimes it’s a short video, other times a tv show on my Pluto TV app. I’ll always use the tv when streaming from Prime, Netflix, or Disney+, rather than the app, so as to get that way better audio, and not run down the iPad battery!

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
From my iPad Pro 9.7 > iPad Pro 11 > iPad Pro 12.9… I have used them all (mostly in conjunction with a gooseneck mount attached to my bed frame) for bedroom viewing.

The 12.9 (2020) -for me- is perfect for this.

Whilst the blacks aren’t as deep as the M1, the pro motion HDR display is fantastic, at 2-3 feet viewing distance. The 4-way speakers compliment the viewing experience too.

Reactions: Sluchbox

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I use my 120" screen and projector at home but when not at home my iPad and iPhone sometimes for short things like YouTube videos.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I have done and do sometimes.
As someone said, up close it's as big as a TV across the room.

The biggest difference is when you want to watch with others. Obviously, an ipad is really only for one.

And the experience is different compared to the sound in a big room.
If you are watching comfortably in bed with a notebook or ipad you have a totally different sense of security and it simply doesn't work with some sorts of content.
Take that to the other extreme, thrillers and horror movies are best in an actual cinema for that very reason.
Huge unfamiliar space, strangers all around you, echoes. That sort of thing is lost with an ipad close up.
Sport too seems to need the big stage in my opinion.
So yes you can definitely do it but for the very best enjoyment, not for everything IMO.

Reactions: Moneymiike420

Chaparral02

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2021
I guess this would also come down to what size TV you have at home and what viewing distance...

I find the 12.9 is far to small to really enjoy watching movies on which am guessing is due to am used to my 65" TV at a 10ft viewing distance, Also doesn't help that my desktop PC monitor is also a 35" UW

If i only had a 32" to 42" TV then maybe things would be very different

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I use it as a television in my kitchen if we want to watch something while we eat.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I see people often talking about using an iPad to watch movies or shows, and it doesn’t seem like they are only talking about doing it while on the go.

Do you watch movies and shows on your iPad at home? If so, why do you prefer to do it that way then using a television.

I know I’m absolutely late to the party but I have ever since I got my 12.9 first generation iPad used it for consuming media as an YouTube Apple TV Netflix Hulu etc. on the iPad because I can take it with me anywhere in the house and if I decide to sit down in the living room I will use my Apple TV to stream from my iPad so that if I have to leave the room I can just turn off screen share unless I’m sitting down to watch a movie with my roommates then will just start it on the Chromecast with Google TV The portability of an iPad around the house is the best thing I ever had

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

We've got a TV in every room but as I'm nearsighted, I prefer watching on the iPad.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I watch very little regular TV but during the week I watch a lot of financial and news shows. Almost all of that will be on either my iPad or my 2nd MBP, while working at my desk.

On the weekend I generally catch up on any streaming or tv that I may be watching, that is almost always at my TV.

For all of this, I generally will be using my AirPods Pros, the sound quality is so much better without needing to crank the volume way up.

Sluchbox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2021
I guess this would also come down to what size TV you have at home and what viewing distance...

I find the 12.9 is far to small to really enjoy watching movies on which am guessing is due to am used to my 65" TV at a 10ft viewing distance, Also doesn't help that my desktop PC monitor is also a 35" UW

If i only had a 32" to 42" TV then maybe things would be very different
I have a 60 inch TV that is about 10 foot away and when I hold my iPad Mini up either underneath it or next to it, the Mini is much bigger than the TV.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I have a 60 inch TV that is about 10 foot away and when I hold my iPad Mini up either underneath it or next to it, the Mini is much bigger than the TV.

By that logic all you need is an iPhone really close to your face, right? Wonder why people go to the cinema then… :)
One of the big advantages of a TV is that is gives you the option to watch across the room without having to carry a mobile screen around.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
How about an 16’ MacBook Pro, at least somewhat larger than a 12.9’
There is the same XDR screen with promotion

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
1. I rarely watch television itself (other that for the evening news, which have a dedicated tablet app anyway), but I do watch movies and other videos (mainly via plex)
2. I don't have a television and don't want one (technically I do have a 2013 Samsung smart tv, 22in full hd, but I haven't turned it on for years, it never got much use as a tv, sometimes only as a monitor).
3. I use either my 12.9 pro, or more often, my galaxy S7+ for evening news and movies (youtube is never on android, but either on the iPad pro or in my 11.6in macbook air, which resides in my kitchen and is only used for that)
4. The S7+ has slightly more screen real estate than the 12.9 (as well as better audio and video, as it's oled), but I would like a larger tablet (I know Apple is working on a 14-15in iPad pro, but it won't be before several years if ever, according to Gurman), so I'll probably pick the Tab S8 ultra (14.6in but still lighter than the M1 12.9) when it comes out.
5. I have the surface book 2 15in (but the battery in the tablet portion is too short). I also got the lightest 15.6in laptop in the world, under 1kg, which I sometimes use for movies. More rarely I use my macbook air for that.
6. I never watch a movie sitting down, I am always doing something else around the house, unless it's with friends, in which case I use a projector (incorporated into an old lenovo tablet)
For this reason, anything over 2.5 pounds is too heavy since I generally carry the tablets/laptops with one hand while carrying other things in the other hand (of course I don't watch a whole movie with a tablet in my hand, it's just for moving it from one room to the other and every room is equipped with a stand).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I don’t have a TV but use my 13” MBP or 10” iPad Pro.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I have a 65” TV, but I’m nearsighted, so I still have to wear my glasses to see my TV clearly. I don’t like wearing glasses, so I mainly watch movies on my iPad unless I’m watching with someone else. I plan on getting LASIK within the next couple of years and will probably use my TV more after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.